Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
The guy in that picture is most definitely not an electrician if that is his stripping tool......

Reactions: CGW

·
Senile Member
35,311 Posts
There is something about answering these tell us about yourself type posts from IT people that makes me a bit squeamish. However, if you would like to divulge to us some real nice and private stuff Cricket, I'm pretty sure the boys won't mind that a bit.......:thumbsup::thumbup::laughing:

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was in seventh grade and troweling a basement floor with my father who owned a mason and cement business . The electrician was drilling holes down through the plates in various locations making it hard on us. My father said " why don't you go to school for that then you can be the agrivator instead of the agrivatee" I think this really was the beginning .

·
Administrator
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is something about answering these tell us about yourself type posts from IT people that makes me a bit squeamish. However, if you would like to divulge to us some real nice and private stuff Cricket, I'm pretty sure the boys won't mind that a bit.......:thumbsup::thumbup::laughing:
I am sincerely curious how people choose their trade.

You realize I am not IT, right?

·
Senile Member
35,311 Posts
OK, your nice so I will be too. I was a carpenter apprentice nailing on sheeting to the roof of a whole lot of new condo's called Bermuda Cay two streets away from my house in Florida and it was summer and it was hot as all hell. The electricians pulled up and went inside the unit in the shade. So I asked the youngest one how much he was getting paid. It was double what I was so I choose to become an electrician right there and then instead of a carpenter. Two year vocational school and a four yr apprenticeship later I was an electrician.

Reactions: Admin

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I was a commercial pilot and needed a change in career. Took a 2 week career exploration program through the government and one of my top 3 career possibilities was electrician. I remember my first option was meteorologist and I was going to do that if the electrician thing didn't work out. But since I could start working as an electrician with absolutely no training, knowledge or previous experience.. I did it. Good thing because meteorologist was something like 6 years of university and each year would dig me $30k more in debt, while training to be an electrician actually made me money. Plus the government had all kinds of tax deductions and bursaries and grants, it was crazy!

So I just kept doing it.. except I never liked working for other people because they were always morons or business scoundrels. Started working for myself last year and it's been great. Can't imagine ever working for someone again. I do prefer the business side more than the electrician side of this career. Hopefully I can ramp up and hire guys to do my slave labour, while I play golf and shmooze with other business people.

·
Senile Member
35,311 Posts
I was a commercial pilot and needed a change in career. Took a 2 week career exploration program through the government and one of my top 3 career possibilities was electrician. I remember my first option was meteorologist and I was going to do that if the electrician thing didn't work out. But since I could start working as an electrician with absolutely no training, knowledge or previous experience.. I did it. Good thing because meteorologist was something like 6 years of university and each year would dig me $30k more in debt, while training to be an electrician actually made me money. Plus the government had all kinds of tax deductions and bursaries and grants, it was crazy!

So I just kept doing it.. except I never liked working for other people because they were always morons or business scoundrels. Started working for myself last year and it's been great. Can't imagine ever working for someone again. I do prefer the business side more than the electrician side of this career. Hopefully I can ramp up and hire guys to do my slave labour, while I play golf and shmooze with other business people.
Do you still fly Frunk?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
My cousin who was starting his business called and asked my older brother if he wanted to work for him during the summer when he was home from college. He didn't but I was 16 and making pizza, bread and salad at a busy Greek restaurant and convinced him to hire me instead.
So often my cousin would pick me up from school at 11am already with a cold case of beer in a cooler between the seats. We would drink and work to we were drunk. Or get drunk and go golfing.

When's lunch?

·
Senile Member
35,311 Posts
You went up ten notches when you let that out.........:thumbsup:

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
I was always interested in electrical. I used to draw pictures of power line poles when I was in grade school. I was going to go into a lineman program but that didn't pan out. I got changed to the electrical technology program at the same college a week before class started and never wanted to change back. I have regretted it at times and didn't end up going the path I wanted but it is working out now.

·
Can't Remember
11,044 Posts
Did the electrical thing and made the switch to flying. Had two daughters and see the look on my wife's face knowing I'd have to commute to work. Really wasn't enjoying tooling around in crappy weather in old airplanes. Came back to electrical and been in business for myself for about seven years. Home most nights. Go on the road once in a while.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Got into it right out of highschool and hated it. Spend a bunch of years after that working as entry-level everything: medic, cook, ranch-hand, repairman, teaching-assistant, tour-guide, GC, as well as a whole slew of a odd-jobs just to make ends meet while I bummed around the country.

Eventually realized I wasn't really getting anywhere I wanted to be, and went back and finished up my apprenticeship. Still didn't really like the job, though. Wiring buildings was not what I wanted to do, so I had I kept my eyes open for any avenues that would get me into more troubleshooting and higher power equipment.

Ended up going from residential/commercial to heavy-commercial to industrial construction to utility maintenance to distribution testing and repair. I'm pretty darn happy with this avenue, because it's pretty much where I've always wanted to be. It took long enough that I really envy the greenies who get into industrial and testing shops right off the bat, I would've given a lot for that opportunity.

·
Senile Member
35,311 Posts
The best thing is when you drive up to the office in the morning, and then you go sit in the owner's chair. I like it way way more than any other thing I have ever done. well growing pot was a lot of fun also.......

·
Journeyman
135 Posts
It all started when my Dad took me to work when I was 12. It was a simple residential job where some outlets needed to be replaced and I rewired them myself. I felt very accomplished seeing a lamp light up when plugged into the receptacle so I pursued the electrical trade. Through highschool, I was juggling between a 1-day-a-week trade school and highschool itself. I didn't have time for anything but school and work which took a toll on my social life.

I just completed my apprenticeship a month ago and I'm about to write the electrician's exam. I'll admit that I wish I didn't put all my energy into this trade. Although I know a lot more than the standard electrician my age, I barely know anybody who can help my to the top.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.