Electrician Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We historically never charged for step ladders but I think as of now we will charge for anything over a 12ft. It’s not everyday we pull out the 14ft And we still incurred the cost of buying it at one point so really unless we charge for it what’s the point in owning it ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m probably not fair lol but I often toss a tool into a job. I needed to punch a ton of 2” knockouts so instead of wearing out my arm with the slugbuster, I just added the cost of a powered one into the job. Got lots of specialty stuff that way over the years.

Other than that, I just hide expendables in the material. It takes too long do divide out expected life over the tool so I just make it easy. I need a hole saw for the job, I bill for the thing. I need to core a 4” hole through concrete, they bought the whole bit. I do it on every job, I figured each paying for a hole saw eventually covers the cost of the tools and batteries. You need more than half the roll of Romex you bought the whole roll. Who cares about line item stuff like that, they’re happy their project is done, I’m happy I made money.
We had a job where we were able to incorporate the cost of a tugger so I hear you haha

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,384 Posts
I have a customer who came to me about a phone line during a tenant fit out. I specifically exclude low voltage wiring on these jobs because the client usually has their own LV guys who do their IT, POS, Cameras etc. This guy was up against it because the telco wanted to install his service and his LV Guys weren't scheduled to be there until everything was ready for them. Turns out he needed about 100' of cat V from the buildings demarc to the office in his space. I said no problem. He said "what's that gonna cost me?" I said "don't worry about it". I've done all his work since then and ended up being friends with him outside of work. I still run his "phone line" for "free" on some jobs.
I did something similar once, went on an introduction call to try to get business and introduce myself.
While there I gave their electrician advice on how to program something saving him days.
Boss said what do I owe you, I said nothing I was here. I ended up getting hundreds of thousands in work from him.

·
Registered
I work for a service shop. No complaints, love what I do.
901 Posts
I'm not running a business or anything but I had a chat with a Master the other day. He said it made a big difference once he started charging for quotes. He does all residential. He was constantly going to houses to scope out the work, would give out the quotes for doing the work, never to get called back to actually do the work. He got tired of it and started charging for these quotes. This made these home owners feel more committed after investing $ in him, even if it was a small amount, and thus he now gets a lot more work. Funny how charging fees vs no fees completely changed his business lol. So yeah, don't give out free time. I assume this is a bit different in the commercial world.

Also commercial company I work for has charges such as trip charges, delivery fees, engineering and design, troubleshooting, welding/fab work, extra charges for after hour work, extra charges for emergency calls, bucket truck charges, any sort of lift charges, ect... Pretty much they cover their ass on anything and everything.

One thing to always consider is making sacrifices from time to time, saving the customer $ on things when the time is right, which will ultimately create work for you in the long run. I have plenty of stories of helping people out free of charge, b/c I was in the right place at the right time and felt like doing a nice deed. This has created good work for me. So always consider just being a nice guy without anything in return, nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,430 Posts
Does Dewalt carry one?

I made a change from Dewalt to Milwaukee a few years back, and right now I’m thinking about going back. Their pack outs kits and tool boxes are amazing, well worth every penny, but I’m not sure their power tools can last as long.
I am late to the party... but my Milwaukee stuff has been crap. I have zero good things to say about their drills, complete garbage. Impact... it is okay, reciprocating saw... nice, multi-tool... good enough, bandsaw... junk...

I have my Bosch stuff from before I started my business 12 years ago, I keep it in my van because the Milwaukee crap breaks often enough.

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I am late to the party... but my Milwaukee stuff has been crap. I have zero good things to say about their drills, complete garbage. Impact... it is okay, reciprocating saw... nice, multi-tool... good enough, bandsaw... junk...

I have my Bosch stuff from before I started my business 12 years ago, I keep it in my van because the Milwaukee crap breaks often enough.
Yeah, I have a bosch bulldog that about 12 years old. Still kicking, even though it’s starting to show its age.

Had a whole kit of Dewalt stuff that lasted about 8 years of heavy duty daily use. That’s pretty good if you ask me.

Milwaukee has the pack out kits down to a science, (well worth the money!!) but I’m not sold on their power tools yet…..

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,430 Posts
Yeah, I have a bosch bulldog that about 12 years old. Still kicking, even though it’s starting to show its age.

Had a whole kit of Dewalt stuff that lasted about 8 years of heavy duty daily use. That’s pretty good if you ask me.

Milwaukee has the pack out kits down to a science, (well worth the money!!) but I’m not sold on their power tools yet…..
I built all custom shelving for my packout boxes, love them.

Reactions: MHElectric

·
Hackenschmidt
13,469 Posts

Same same. The drills are junky, and their warranty service is awful. Next time around it will not be Milwaukee.

I went with the Ridgid for about a third the price. They don't have nearly as many goodies as Milwaukee but they basically work. I like the milk crates, to me $20 is a little pricey for the Ridgids but $55 for the Milwaukee milk crates, I just can't do it. I do wish there was a dolly for the RIdgid but at $100 I wouldn't have the packout either.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts