Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
31,170 Posts
Right now were the highest paid unemployed trade in the game.:eek: My local is getting ready to break the $50 per hour mark plus another 20 something per hour in retirement and health care.

It's an awesome package, especially at zero hours a week. $50 per hour * 0 = ZERO dollars...........:laughing:.........

It's not our market share that's the problem, it's the market:blink:
Our guys are due a 1.65 in June, does not seem logical to take this in the middle of a recession. They feel they fought to hard for it to give it back.

In the mean time open shops are taking cuts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In Calgary journey men make 32$ to 38$ an hour depending on the company. A few companies pay more then that but i've never heard of any companies that pay less.

1st years make 50% of journey man rate, 2nd 60%, 3rd 70%, 4th 80%. Calgary is almost all non-union, only 1 union shop in town. The oil patch out of town has a lot of union work but they pay about the same just have more benefits.

Sent from my Nexus One using Electrician Talk

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I am a one man shop so I get paid zero. Have not gotten a check in 5 years. But, my mortgage, my utilities, my retirement, my medical, my vehicles, my toys, my credit cards, my savings, and all my other crap got paid.

The only money I ever get to see is when I scrap copper.

Union rates nearby are 30-40 = benefits
Non-Union rates are 20-40 with less benefits
Market share is probably split 8%/92% here in SoCal.

·
zap
1,327 Posts
The average wage for a Journeyman at our shop $28-30 hr. That includes full medical, dental, year end bonus and a company truck to take home every night. We are the only shop that offers benefits in the area other than the two union shops. I'm not real sure but the union wage here is around $28 and some change. If you drive a hour to Sun Valley the average wage is about $32 hr.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
OK, I guess there is no harm in calling you a lazy POS union blowhard.
Nah, no harm.

I figured that if a non-union shop pays the men less than two-thirds the union package, they are a rat contractor. If they pay more than two-thirds, I will call them non-union and be at peace with it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
RUSSIAN said:
I make quite a bit, but our cost of living is very high and gas is ridicules. The refinery's are 1/2 hr drive yet we pay some of the highest prices for gas in the nation...

BTW local 332 scale is currently $48 and change
332 is contra costa county right? I'm non union working in the bay area and always wondered what the union pays in this particular situation.

So if your union is strictly contra costa county let's say your company gets a job in alameda or San Metao(spelling) county or even SF county (all higher paying wages than CC) do you get paid that wage of county? Or do u get your 48? Does it only depend on if it's private or PW?

·
Registered
386 Posts
miller_elex said:
Nah, no harm.

I figured that if a non-union shop pays the men less than two-thirds the union package, they are a rat contractor. If they pay more than two-thirds, I will call them non-union and be at peace with it.
So that mean you will call my company then? I get the exact same pay as a union contractor but I am non union. I get everything a union journeymen does except I don't pay dues or have the extra percentage an hour that goes to the union slush fund to cover expenses

·
Banned
420 Posts
Oregon:

could be...
$25 an hr, no health benefits, no retirement,
That's not just Oregon, it's NJ too, also PA like MDShunk said.

There are some jobs that might go up to the mid 30's, but those are few and far between and there aren't any openings. $25/hr is pretty much what you can expect if you can find an opening. I know skilled electrician with 10+ years who are at the point in which they are happy to be getting $20/hr because they know how bad it is out there.

·
Banned
420 Posts
So that mean you will call my company then? I get the exact same pay as a union contractor but I am non union. I get everything a union journeymen does except I don't pay dues or have the extra percentage an hour that goes to the union slush fund to cover expenses
You bring up a good point. You can pay an open shop employee much less than a union employee while still giving him the same money per paycheck and the same benefits.

For example, a journeymen in my local who works the entire year pays $24,000 into health and welfare (medical benefits) That's insane, an open shop could give similar healthcare for much less. They can also give a 401K for retirement instead of an insolvent pension like what we have right now. Now if you add up all the things that the union takes, from COPE and PAC to JATC and Dues, you can pay an open shop worker $10-15/hr less while giving him the same exact paycheck and benefits in the end.

·
Registered
386 Posts
RobTownfold64 said:
You bring up a good point. You can pay an open shop employee much less than a union employee while still giving him the same money per paycheck and the same benefits.

For example, a journeymen in my local who works the entire year pays $24,000 into health and welfare (medical benefits) That's insane, an open shop could give similar healthcare for much less. They can also give a 401K for retirement instead of an insolvent pension like what we have right now. Now if you add up all the things that the union takes, from COPE and PAC to JATC and Dues, you can pay an open shop worker $10-15/hr less while giving him the same exact paycheck and benefits in the end.
This is true but my company only does PW projects which is essentially the union scale and benefits in California.You can count on two hands the amount of private jobs we've done and because of that the contractor still paid the PW scale. The contractor values his employees i would say.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I get everything a union journeymen does except I don't pay dues or have the extra percentage an hour that goes to the union slush fund to cover expenses
I would call that a pretty damn good job.

Here, some non-union guys on PW work make a little more than union guys. But when the PW work is done, and they have to go back to private work, it's time for a big paycut. And that creates alot of internal discontent at these shops, alot of butts get sore about who is working the PW jobs. Then there's the internal in-fighting about who gets paid more on the private work. A couple bucks an hour can create alot of dischord between foremen. Its no wonder it is company policy to not allow sharing payroll data with each other. I was working non-union, and there was an all-hands meeting at the shop (expensive, I know!) anyways, all the sudden, everybody is standing around in a big circle sharing information about who is getting paid for travel and who is not and per diem and what not. FAIL. The guys who gave the most effort were getting alot less than some of the slackers because they were good employees who sacrificed for the company. No good deed goes unpunished.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,322 Posts
Our guys are due a 1.65 in June, does not seem logical to take this in the middle of a recession. They feel they fought to hard for it to give it back.

In the mean time open shops are taking cuts.

Brian-
I was talking with an electrician ( non-union)the other day and he tells me that 26 is out recruiting electricians? 1000 on the bench and they are out looking for more ? Is this true or are they just using this guy to try and get into the company he works for?
Feel free to PM me if you want

·
Registered
386 Posts
miller_elex said:
I would call that a pretty damn good job.

Here, some non-union guys on PW work make a little more than union guys. But when the PW work is done, and they have to go back to private work, it's time for a big paycut. And that creates alot of internal discontent at these shops, alot of butts get sore about who is working the PW jobs. Then there's the internal in-fighting about who gets paid more on the private work. A couple bucks an hour can create alot of dischord between foremen. Its no wonder it is company policy to not allow sharing payroll data with each other. I was working non-union, and there was an all-hands meeting at the shop (expensive, I know!) anyways, all the sudden, everybody is standing around in a big circle sharing information about who is getting paid for travel and who is not and per diem and what not. FAIL. The guys who gave the most effort were getting alot less than some of the slackers because they were good employees who sacrificed for the company. No good deed goes unpunished.
I know exactly what your saying. That is the biggest problem with private contractors. I am fortunate enough to work for a really good contractor. When I was going through my apprenticeship what you described happened at every company I knew of. There is a specific contractor here that would put there best electricians on the private jobs and the mess up idiots on PW. No one knew why many quit over that but most stayed. It is one of many downfalls with non union but there are always a few really good non union contractors to work for but always hard to get a foot in the door.

·
Registered
386 Posts
miller_elex said:
You know it. Two unrelated people have to vouch for you?
Usually sometimes they will bring a person on with one unrelated person vouching for you but you have a six month probation period. Usually only way to get on is be an apprentice for said contractors prove yourself and they keep you.

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts

How much per hour does your shop put into your pension? How much 401k match on top of the pension do you get?

I love these guys that can't see tomorrow. They get "union wages" and think life is good. But it will look like the back of a pigs ass when you are 62 looking at nothing but S.S. for retirement.

People have to realise, its not about what you have now, but what you will have then. When you are 65, both knees are completely shot and you have very little money to retire on. Cant be a great feeling worrying about what meds you can and cant take because Medi-Care doesn't cover the whole bill. Lets see, get the heart medicine I need, or buy food....hmmmm.

This is why many people go Union, its the benefits.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
31,170 Posts
Brian-
I was talking with an electrician ( non-union)the other day and he tells me that 26 is out recruiting electricians? 1000 on the bench and they are out looking for more ? Is this true or are they just using this guy to try and get into the company he works for?
Feel free to PM me if you want
I do not know, but they are interviewing apprentices.

LOCAL 26

Great Hourly Wages

The minimum annual salaries, based on forty (40) hours per week at the current wage and benefit packages, are as follows (as of November 2007):

"A" Journeymen: $96,194/yr. including benefits

Electrical "a" Apprentices starting in
the 5-year appr. program: $43,578/yr. including benefits
Residential Wiremen: $64,804/yr. including benefits
Residential Trainees starting the 4-year program: $20,912/yr. including benefits
Teledata Technicians: $64,250/yr. including benefits
Telecommunication Apprentices starting in the 3-year program: $40,102/yr. including benefits

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
How much per hour does your shop put into your pension? How much 401k match on top of the pension do you get?

I love these guys that can't see tomorrow. They get "union wages" and think life is good. But it will look like the back of a pigs ass when you are 62 looking at nothing but S.S. for retirement.

People have to realise, its not about what you have now, but what you will have then. When you are 65, both knees are completely shot and you have very little money to retire on. Cant be a great feeling worrying about what meds you can and cant take because Medi-Care doesn't cover the whole bill. Lets see, get the heart medicine I need, or buy food....hmmmm.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:Exactly. Make sure the "future vision' is 20/20!!!

At times, it's a love/hate relationship, all things change with time. I hate the price of insurance...but going to love it here in a week or so.

How many out there, that are open shop, are putting enough away for the future? Not attacking you for being open shop, asking you to do some critical thinking about where you wnat to go....at 59 to 62?

·
Registered
567 Posts
lefleuron said:

How much do those union shops pay into your pension when your not working? Do they match your 401k while you sitting on the bench?

Maybe what people have to realize is that the future is inevitable, and that maybe they should take responsibility for their own.

What are you paying into, really? The collective piggy bank?
What's keeping a guy from starting his own savings? Making his own investments?

Higher wages and benefits are awesome, when times are good. What about the guys siting it out 6 months out of the year? What's that average out to?

Let's see, work year round at 80% full package, or work 1/2 the year at full? Your milage may very.

Oh look, it's tomorrow! ****.
What's wrong with making decent money?

21 - 40 of 79 Posts