Electrician Talk banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Rockyd said:
How many out there, that are open shop, are putting enough away for the future? Not attacking you for being open shop, asking you to do some critical thinking about where you wnat to go....at 59 to 62?
The ultimate plan(yet to be put in motion), is to move into engineering. I'm still young, but i wanna be in a cushy place in the end. I'll probably need it.

Put back a little every week, keep the accounts growing.

Keeping an eye out for the trashy low level contractors that steal our work. If their not legitimate the boss like knock em down a notch.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
non union

Well we get paid more than union here in this state .
we edited the info to protect our interest i think its fine to share information but also we dont like to advertise what our pay scale or benefits are its kinda like this we are a very happy camper .

EDITED

Now were in florida pay its not great but let me ask whats your taxes each year on your property in your state seems if ya make 70 dollars a hour but your paying 10 thousand in taxes to live in NJ or 25 thousand to live in some other northern states thats not enough pay hourly .

Keep in mind i was born in New Jersey and i started in the electrical trade there so my family who still lives and works there kinda tells me what they pay in taxes each year when they work and when they dont work .

Were just giving a example of who we work for. There are good companys and there are bad ones .

Just like electricians theres good and bad in any trade were all different in this big world but we can be better if we want to be .

We not here to offend anyone in the union because we once were in the union .

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The ultimate plan(yet to be put in motion), is to move into engineering. I'm still young, but i wanna be in a cushy place in the end. I'll probably need it.
Good call! Know a few electrician's went on to get their EE, internship and PE stamp. Open's up that 100G door pretty quick.

Put back a little every week, keep the accounts growing.

Keeping an eye out for the trashy low level contractors that steal our work. If their not legitimate the boss like knock em down a notch.
Everyone has to start somewhere. When I was open shop, I got my foot in the door of the "low end" of the shops. When I left open shop, I left what is now CH2MHill.

One open shop contractor that is really pretty good, pays same scale and some benefits. Alyeska pip[eline? They pay ten dollars an hour over what we pay, and bigger benny package. Sometimes it's strictly about who controls the tools for various reasons.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Average wage for electrician 25/29 hour start helpers 12 to 15/18 non union
I don't know if I believe that. In a place like Florida which cost of living is half of here and most jobs also pay half, you are saying that skilled electrician are averaging $25-29/hr? That's higher than the average guy makes here. Many are $20/hr.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
I don't know if I believe that. In a place like Florida which cost of living is half of here and most jobs also pay half, you are saying that skilled electrician are averaging $25-29/hr? That's higher than the average guy makes here. Many are $20/hr.
Well Robtownfold we kinda figure you would not believe surprise surprise i always liked Gomer Pile .

But i just cant see how i can prove it unless i post my paycheck up on the net and i dont plan on doing that .

Let me say this my company is the largest one in the state and were in the top 50 in the USA so do the math . We kinda do the largest projects in the state and we work out of the country at times also out of our state . I cant say much more but weve been around a few years and most of our work starts at 8 mil to 40 mil so its kinda simple to pay out that wage .

Now not all electricians get this pay in our state its who you work for and what you know and what you do thats what i said if you read my post .

take care

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
Im lucky if I get paid in peanuts the last couple years.

~Matt

·
Banned
420 Posts
Well Robtownfold we kinda figure you would not believe surprise surprise i always liked Gomer Pile .
Well I am glad that you and whoever you are with (you did say "we") figured I would not believe you... :rolleyes:

Gomer Pile??
But i just cant see how i can prove it unless i post my paycheck up on the net and i dont plan on doing that .
I don't care what your paycheck is, you said "average wage" which is what I am curious about. I don't doubt that you make it. If you were only talking about the average for your company, then that is a different story.

·
Registered
567 Posts
RobTownfold64 said:
The union rates are much, much higher which is part of the reason why the union has such a small market share and so many union men are out of work.

$73/hr package, $47/hr in the envelope.
20/hr seams remarkably low considering property costs alone. Given the hype, it's hard for me to believe any one would hire nonunion out there.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Well I am glad that you and whoever you are with (you did say "we") figured I would not believe you... :rolleyes:

Gomer Pile??
I don't care what your paycheck is, you said "average wage" which is what I am curious about. I don't doubt that you make it. If you were only talking about the average for your company, then that is a different story.

Yes our company in florida but in Jacksonville the pay is about $18 start electricians now helpers get $10 /12 starting pay and south florida is about the same maybe higher iam sure theres a few here online in florida .

Were a merit shop you get what you can do no one rides free you work for that wage its not given . Plus keep in mind commercial & industrial new construction only nothing else ever i need to add that .

Were just pointing out non union to union its the work you do that counts .

·
Banned
420 Posts
20/hr seams remarkably low considering property costs alone. Given the hype, it's hard for me to believe any one would hire nonunion out there.
$20 is low, but I said many are at that rate, not all. Average is under $30.

Ask captkirk, Magnettica, or the other EC's from NJ what they pay their guys.

I can only tell you what the papers say and other electricians I know are being paid.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
I made 35 when I worked in a hospital as a maintanence EC. Great health bennies, 401, and top notch day care at alost a 1/4 the rates of others..And best of all the working conditions were bar none the best I ever had...Clean work, climate control, good food everyday...a little boring but if your not the kind of guy that is bothered by that it was a good job.
But of course I wanted more.....OH sign...if I could only go back in time...

·
Banned
420 Posts
I made 35 when I worked in a hospital as a maintanence EC. Great health bennies, 401, and top notch day care at alost a 1/4 the rates of others..And best of all the working conditions were bar none the best I ever had...Clean work, climate control, good food everyday...a little boring but if your not the kind of guy that is bothered by that it was a good job.
But of course I wanted more.....OH sign...if I could only go back in time...
That sounds like a great job. I am making more than that now, but no one knows for how long. If I found a job like that today, I would take the pay cut for it.

BTW, you didn't work at Valley Hospital, did ya? I know the in house maintenance electricians make about what you said there.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts