Electrician Talk banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
I made 35 when I worked in a hospital as a maintanence EC. Great health bennies, 401, and top notch day care at alost a 1/4 the rates of others..And best of all the working conditions were bar none the best I ever had...Clean work, climate control, good food everyday...a little boring but if your not the kind of guy that is bothered by that it was a good job.
But of course I wanted more.....OH sign...if I could only go back in time...

If I found a job like that, I would never work for myself again.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
That sounds like a great job. I am making more than that now, but no one knows for how long. If I found a job like that today, I would take the pay cut for it.

BTW, you didn't work at Valley Hospital, did ya? I know the in house maintenance electricians make about what you said there.
NO it was an Atlantic Health one... Yea I agree not a really high pay like some of the Union cats but ...man let me tell you..this, you definatly dont bust your ass......and most new construction is outsourced so...yea it was a cake walk and you could pretty much bring your kid to work with you because the day care was right there.....and only 15 minutes away..

·
Banned
420 Posts
NO it was an Atlantic Health one... Yea I agree not a really high pay like some of the Union cats but ...man let me tell you..this, you definatly dont bust your ass......and most new construction is outsourced so...yea it was a cake walk and you could pretty much bring your kid to work with you because the day care was right there.....and only 15 minutes away..
Yup, I agree. I did a lot of new construction and renovation at Hackensack, Hoboken, and Valley hospitals. It's just like you said, they hired us to do the big work and their maintenence guys had it easy. They would stack up work orders to replace light bulbs for weeks :thumbup:

I'd give up the extra pay for a solid job with good benefits like that.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I made 35 when I worked in a hospital as a maintanence EC....
Was it IUOE?

After I got out the navy, I thought to myself, I'd rather work with people. I wiped butts for eight months working my way into healthcare. Walked into a hospital looking for a buttwipe job, saw the maintenance job paid twice as much. I applied, intending to use it as a job to work my way through nursing school. My plans changed shortly thereafter. The rest as they say.... is history. I will say this, I seen more clams than all the guys on this site combined, and it weren't a pretty sight.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
If you showed up you were pretty much gauranteed a job for life. That hospital isnt going anywhere anytime soon....Who knows...mabey I could have made foreman...Or manager of the maintance dept...Right now I would give that up for uncertainty ......Its funny how things change when you have a kid..

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Was it IUOE?

After I got out the navy, I thought to myself, I'd rather work with people. I wiped butts for eight months working my way into healthcare. Walked into a hospital looking for a buttwipe job, saw the maintenance job paid twice as much. I applied, intending to use it as a job to work my way through nursing school. My plans changed shortly thereafter. The rest as they say.... is history. I will say this, I seen more clams than all the guys on this site combined, and it weren't a pretty sight.
:laughing::laughing: at last, a bloke more drunck than me.....:thumbup: he's got to have a little Jersey in him....clam....I love it..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
lefleuron said:
How much per hour does your shop put into your pension? How much 401k match on top of the pension do you get?

I love these guys that can't see tomorrow. They get "union wages" and think life is good. But it will look like the back of a pigs ass when you are 62 looking at nothing but S.S. for retirement.

People have to realise, its not about what you have now, but what you will have then. When you are 65, both knees are completely shot and you have very little money to retire on. Cant be a great feeling worrying about what meds you can and cant take because Medi-Care doesn't cover the whole bill. Lets see, get the heart medicine I need, or buy food....hmmmm.

This is why many people go Union, its the benefits.:thumbsup:
California all PW is essentially the union scale. So if all I do is PW then u can do the math

·
Proud Navy Veteran
1,429 Posts
Where in Florida?
Orlando, I know his company very well. They are are huge.

I get $19.00/hr and haven't gotten a raise in 4 years. My benefits used to all paid but now I have to pay. When I worked for Lucent Technologies as an Analyst I was paid $27.00 and that was 6yrs ago. When they shifted everything to Singapore I went back to being a sparky. Fall back on what you know.

I will let piperunner disclose who he works for if he wishes. I work with one of his co-workers, he came from the service side of the the company. He is an awesome Electrician, and a great person.

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts
As far for French pay scale they will varies a bit but for nonunion they pay at 18 Euros per hour { that for apperatnicé} then go up 28 Euros per hour on Journeylevel but master level it will varies from 32 to 65 Euros per hours but the union is about 18 to 25% more on pay scale.

Mine pay scale is toward to high side espcally with the numbers of overtime and afterhours service calls.

Merci.
Marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the UK I would earn £1000 per week after tax being self-employed and working price work. I don't know what the exchange rate is but it'll be a lot in aus 😆😆
Yeah but you live in the UK dude.
You couldnt pay me enough to live over there.
I'll keep my broke southern redneck ass right where I am thank you very much.

And I dont know anything about the UK other than that if i was somehow forced to go there, I would inadvertently self inflict a deafness causing injury within 24 hours of arriving, due to having to listen to your annoying voices and accents

·
Super Moderator
Retired Master Electrician
16,417 Posts
Yeah but you live in the UK dude.
You couldnt pay me enough to live over there.
I'll keep my broke southern redneck ass right where I am thank you very much.

And I dont know anything about the UK other than that if i was somehow forced to go there, I would inadvertently self inflict a deafness causing injury within 24 hours of arriving, due to having to listen to your annoying voices and accents
It is the southern accent that I have unknowingly acquired that is annoying. Is it because they sound so smart? And we sound so dumb?
Do you realize this thread is 13 years old?
BTW please fill out your profile.

·
Registered
Working With the Tools
544 Posts
Around 50$-70$ an hour in the union in new York.
Wow! $40 is usually the very top here.... non-union around $25... resi guys wiring track houses - at poverty wages.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,084 Posts
I think Union scale around here is somewhere around $38 plus bennies which would bring it to around $50.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
And notice that wages haven't gone up much..........
But the market has... Bezos has added billions, my food has sharply risen, housing has gone through the roof, and my truck costs twice as much.

So who's the idiots? Contractors and the fools that work for them. Union or not, dudes (and women) need to get their heads out of their asses and start freaking charging more, paying more, and leveling up our game.

Reactions: micromind
61 - 79 of 79 Posts