Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from easteren Pa. Philly area. We've always called scrap copper fergie. I was wondering if that's what it's called everywhere or if it's local slang. If you feel like it,tell where your from and what you call scrap copper.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
im from CA and we just call it 'scrap' or sometimes 'recycle'.

Why do you call it fergie? Any reason, or 'just cuz' ?

~Matt

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't know. I've been in the field since 81 and it's always been called fergie around here. We make up our own stories why. But nobody know's. I'm talking about every electircian I've ever met in Pa. and NJ. and Del. called it fergie. another funny word I came across. Riggers call blocks of wood they use while moving big stuff Dunidge. (Like done and bridge put together)

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
It's dunnage, wood that is used as a stabilizer to a load.

dun·nage (d
j)
n. 1. Loose packing material used to protect a ship's cargo from damage during transport.
2. Personal baggage.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
As for what copper scrap is called in the NY/ NJ area, the only two things I have heard is swag or rabbit.

Reactions: John Valdes

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Around here it's rabbit as well, although fergie sounds like a cooler code name.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The kid told me the other day it's up to $3.20 around here. If I'm working with an apprentce they get all the scrap. Hey bobelectric, what part of Pa. are you from?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts