Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,379 Posts
I do the same. I remember the framers doing that with their worm drive skill saws. The ones with the oil filled gear boxes.

On another note, do car batteries warm up if you turn the headlights on before turning over the engine? I had a guy tell me that a long time ago. I think he believed it, and wasn’t bull$hitting.
Yes worm drive saws is where I learned it.
I was taught to crank and wait 30 seconds. It did two things warmed the battery, moved oil over cam.

Then again this is my first car.

Cowboy

·
Hackenschmidt
10,686 Posts
To pick up on this, I was thinking a couple of years ago about using a "cooler" or some other insulated box to store material that could have a small DC element to keep stuff above freezing. I was imagining running it off the block heater or something if and when I plugged my van in - which is rare around here.
That idea might be worth revisiting. I was also thinking of converting one of my job boxes to a heated box to keep wire in overnight above freezing, but I don't do those large Romex jobs anymore.
That sounds like a great idea. I think it would be pretty easy. A thick styrofoam cooler really holds in the heat. It's not a lot of space and it doesn't have to stay really warm, just keep it from deep freeze temperatures.

For the heat element, you could use a 5w automotive bulb and thermostat, but there's 12V heat tape with the thermostat built in.

For the supply, I guess you could run it direct or maybe put a 12V battery in there that charges when the engine runs so it can't kill your battery.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,686 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. I think it would be pretty easy. A thick styrofoam cooler really holds in the heat. It's not a lot of space and it doesn't have to stay really warm, just keep it from deep freeze temperatures.

For the heat element, you could use a 5w automotive bulb and thermostat, but there's 12V heat tape with the thermostat built in.

For the supply, I guess you could run it direct or maybe put a 12V battery in there that charges when the engine runs so it can't kill your battery.
WAIT wait wait!

M18 cooler heater!

ARE YOU LISTENING MILWAUKEE?!?

YOU OWE ME FREE SWAG IF YOU STEAL ANOTHER IDEA OF MINE!!!

·
Petulant Amateur
Poor electrician, excellent bull chitter.
24,532 Posts
I do the same. I remember the framers doing that with their worm drive skill saws. The ones with the oil filled gear boxes.

On another note, do car batteries warm up if you turn the headlights on before turning over the engine? I had a guy tell me that a long time ago. I think he believed it, and wasn’t bull$hitting.
That’s a dumb idea. If it’s frikkin’ cold outside you want all your cranking power going to the starter. I even make sure the radio is turned off.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,686 Posts
That’s a dumb idea. If it’s frikkin’ cold outside you want all your cranking power going to the starter. I even make sure the radio is turned off.
I was skeptical the same reason. The idea is if you have plenty of reserve power in the battery (amp-hours) it will deliver more power (cold cranking amps) when the battery itself warms up some. You run the battery with the lights so it warms itself up a little. Then you turn off the lights and crank it.

Reactions: HertzHound

·
Registered
315 Posts
At that temperature you can probably leave uncooked food in the car and come back to a hot lunch. :eek:
Well not uncooked food, but if you have precooked packaged food, you can leave it on the dashboard and by lunch time it's a hot meal.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,147 Posts
Place the batteries in a bucket, dump some gas in and toss in a match.......

This solves 2 problems, first it warms up the batteries plus it's a nice heater.

It's best to use a metal bucket..............

Seriously, I drive a van and keep the batteries on the floor near the heater outlet. With out though, they can get pretty toasty if it's a long drive.

·
Registered
509 Posts
To pick up on this, I was thinking a couple of years ago about using a "cooler" or some other insulated box to store material that could have a small DC element to keep stuff above freezing. I was imagining running it off the block heater or something if and when I plugged my van in - which is rare around here.

That idea might be worth revisiting. I was also thinking of converting one of my job boxes to a heated box to keep wire in overnight above freezing, but I don't do those large Romex jobs anymore.

Cheers
John
A friend of mine did this. He mounted a keyless lampholder over the drain hole and brought a cord in and wired it to the lampholder. Put a 100 watt incandescent bulb in and plugged it in overnight with all his batteries and as many tools as he could fit. Whenever there was power on site he left it plugged in as well. Worked amazing.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
90F is reasonable?
I'm still dying lol
90F isn’t that bad. I have zero issue working at 105 either.

The problem with hot weather here, is if it’s 100F during the day, it never cools below 90F at night.

It’s one thing to work in it, but sleeping in it is horrid.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I leave it all in my truck. If it is cold enough to plug the block heater in, I have it tied to the inlet on my inverter too and it switches over to "shore power" and fires up all the battery chargers making sure they are topped off.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,211 Posts
I leave it all in my truck. If it is cold enough to plug the block heater in, I have it tied to the inlet on my inverter too and it switches over to "shore power" and fires up all the battery chargers making sure they are topped off.
Would you mind sending me a PM on what you did for that? I am thinking about putting in an inverter in my NV2500 and would like to know how you did yours. I have researched over the web for different options, but like you I wanted to tie it into the block heater being that seems to be the only time I would plug my truck in. Any other time I probably would just run my truck.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
601 Posts
Koolatron, among others, makes a cooler with a heating element. Just use that, no sense reinventing the wheel. If you didn't want it to run all night put a mechanical timer in series.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
55 Posts
I generally leave mine in the truck. The small stuff (temp sensor, circuit tracer, etc.) I leave at home unless I know I will need it. Though a heated container does sound nice for those days when you can't recharge the 18V batteries because they are to cold too!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
90F isn’t that bad. I have zero issue working at 105 either.

The problem with hot weather here, is if it’s 100F during the day, it never cools below 90F at night.

It’s one thing to work in it, but sleeping in it is horrid.
Interesting Switched, that you don't mind 105. Most guys would round it off at 100. Why 105 and what's the difference with 106?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
EC
22,170 Posts
I know with car batteries if they die and you leave them where they can freeze then you will never be able to recharge it again.

Someone gave me a brand new generator that they tested once and never ran again. It sat for 6 years and I could not get the battery to charge again. Bought a new one and all is fine

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Interesting Switched, that you don't mind 105. Most guys would round it off at 100. Why 105 and what's the difference with 106?

It’s one degree hotter than 105

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
And so the cut off is 105? For me it's anything over 75 with humidity.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts