Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some ideas from you guys as far as what you do with old fluorescent fixtures when replacing them with new ones. I'm talking small 20-40 light jobs other then the obvious throw them out. We have to strip them to bare metal typically and it is time consuming to say the least

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well we are cursed and blessed for this here in so cal. There are a ton of old Mexican dudes that drive around and will take anything left out on the curb to scrap it. It is gone in an hour any day of the week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
we take ours to scrap yard as is, minus lamps. Its the same as taking appliances which all have some plastic in them. they do give more for just ballasts but not enough to make up for the time

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I take them out to the desert where I won't pollute anything, burn them and then bury them in 1' of earth.

No not really. But you can take that junk to a recycling center and you'll most likely have to pay a fee but it would be smaller then the one you'd get if you were caught dumping them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our scrap yard and landfill is picky they want them stripped down to bare metal including tombstones and all wiring. I like to dig holes and put them in. The ones with pcbs are especially good fertilizer. I'll even make a map so we know where to plant the trees.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,516 Posts
i typically get rid of garbage in the trash bin that the garbage man collects every week. If there is a ton of crap to remove, then it was put in the bid and I take it to the dump.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Scrap guys are great, about a year ago we did a school. Swapped out fixture we had a scrap guy come to the site at 4am to pick up what we got changed every night . He thought he wAs getting a hell of a deal. Good load in one stop.
I keep a pile of scrap at the shop for him that he collects when ever I call and figure it's worth the trip. Slip him a little copper once in a while and he can't do enough for us.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I keep a few business cards handy of junk men for jobs where a lot of scrap is generated on one job. Otherwise, I have a big scrap metal pile at the shop. It's first-come, first-serve for whatever guy wants to load it up. My "rule" is that they have to take it ALL if they want any of it. Had some guys leave a broken pile of lamps and refractors from troffers, etc. Electrical garbage is mostly metal anyhow, so I rarely get any problems from the scrappers. The only thing I think I pay to get rid of is actual garbage and large quantities of lamps. I take lamps back to the supply house. Those things are getting more and more expensive to get rid of. Seems odd, though, since I'm sure there are more lamp recyclers in business in 2014 than there was in 2004. I'd have thought supply and demand would have brought the price way down, but it hasn't.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.