Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixture Wood Automotive exterior Gas Door

In the past I've made tethers out of wire, but I was lazy today.

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
So... what is the key for? That looks like a Rittal enclosure. They like to send a box with screw cover latches and a key like that. I have no idea why.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having the key beside the panel makes me think of the key on the wall to the jail cell in Mayberry.
Well, theoretically, as this key is for a panel in a small building where the door will be kept locked at all times and only authorized personnel will have access.

If you can't trust authorized personnel, who can you trust? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
826 Posts
I keep mine on my work key ring.
Any others go to the maintenance guys depending on what panels they are allowed to open.
Wood Household hardware Hand tool Nickel Metal

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
We have a couple on a tether, and some just sit on top of the equipment they're for. So far none have gone missing. The allen wrench to get into a PF7000 VFD is still in the door mount.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,298 Posts
I keep mine on my work key ring.
Any others go to the maintenance guys depending on what panels they are allowed to open.
View attachment 160223
Hey how did you get my work keys????
Wonder how many know what that "key" next to the black key is for? I know what they orginialy came from, but working on machines that came in handy many times by not having to go get one. No processor keys on that ring, run mode is your friend.

Cowboy

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use one for opening beer bottles so I keep it on the next to the fridge where it belongs. Seems silly to go the electrical room to open a beer.
Genius, pure genius.

How come you never got any farther in life? :p

Reactions: Majewski

·
Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
826 Posts
Hey how did you get my work keys????
Wonder how many know what that "key" next to the black key is for? I know what they orginialy came from, but working on machines that came in handy many times by not having to go get one. No processor keys on that ring, run mode is your friend.

Cowboy
If you're referring to the pin looking "key", I made that one and several others for the maintenance guys.
It keeps them from destroying the latch release by using a screwdriver that is too big.

Our SEIMENS PLC's don't have keys, which at one time was a problem.
Had an operator that would intentionally put the processor in STOP on mornings he came in with a hangover.
The other shift maintenence guys would spend hours trying to figure out why none of the outputs would come on.
After he disappeared for a while and then, when no was was looking, he flipped the switch and everything started working.
He tried pulling that one Monday morning when my shift was on.
Got the line up in just a few minutes.
They found him in his car sleeping it off.
After looking through the videos, we have cameras to watch the lines and people, they fired him.

There are a few machines with Allen Bradleys and those keys are locked up in the boss's key box, which I have a key to.
I also have a key or two I have collected over the years in my roll around tool box.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,298 Posts
If you're referring to the pin looking "key", I made that one and several others for the maintenance guys.
It keeps them from destroying the latch release by using a screwdriver that is too big.

Our SEIMENS PLC's don't have keys, which at one time was a problem.
Had an operator that would intentionally put the processor in STOP on mornings he came in with a hangover.
The other shift maintenence guys would spend hours trying to figure out why none of the outputs would come on.
After he disappeared for a while and then, when no was was looking, he flipped the switch and everything started working.
He tried pulling that one Monday morning when my shift was on.
Got the line up in just a few minutes.
They found him in his car sleeping it off.
After looking through the videos, we have cameras to watch the lines and people, they fired him.

There are a few machines with Allen Bradleys and those keys are locked up in the boss's key box, which I have a key to.
I also have a key or two I have collected over the years in my roll around tool box.
If it is a Allen head wrench they came with the old pull handle alarms to replace the glass rod that showed handle was pulled or for testing so you did not have to break glass rod I’ll have to see if I have a picture.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If it is a Allen head wrench they came with the old pull handle alarms to replace the glass rod that showed handle was pulled or for testing so you did not have to break glass rod I’ll have to see if I have a picture.
Back before they started requiring a fire alarm installers license here in Texas, I was a fourth year apprentice installing fire systems in high rise office buildings.
Most of the time I didn't have a journeyman.
No one back then wanted the fire alarm or AC control work.

Somewhere around here is a set of keys all related to fire alarm systems and a few screwdrivers of tamper proof screws.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts