Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have a constant battle in all businesses with what an employer provides and expects, and what an employee expects and is willing to give.

For those of you that are employees: What do you really want out of a job/career, and what do you think your employer deserves for it?

For employers: What do you want out of an employee, and what are you willing to compensate them for it beyond wages?

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Then as my companies employee, i shall opine....:thumbsup:

My validity as an employee will be confronted, on every level, every moment i'm in the field. This includes curb appeal, attire, 5 O'clock shadow, and anytime my pie hole is flappin'

Everything that is touched , in the course of action as 'electrician' is subject to scrutiny and explanation by sorts that don't know an outlet from an omlet

Remuneration shall forever and a day be based on job performance, work availability, accounting concerns, predatory oversight factions, as well as people who want quick and pay slow

There shall be NO sick days, as all hirees are self evidenced healthy beings upon initial signage , so no HC insurance will be offered

Any on the job hazard is totally the fault of the employee, being hired under the assumption of having a 'head for self preservation'

It is also expected that a two week notice be forwarded in the event of dismemberment and/or death

Any variation will be considered breach of contract by our human resources dept

thx

~CS~

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CS....I think you are clearly out of line expecting those things and/or asking for them.

I am, however, in total agreement that if someone chooses to die or to get dismembered, that it would be prudent for them to at least make an attempt to provide the company with a 2 week notice of the impending action.:thumbsup:

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
So we have a constant battle in all businesses with what an employer provides and expects, and what an employee expects and is willing to give.

For those of you that are employees: What do you really want out of a job/career, and what do you think your employer deserves for it?

For employers: What do you want out of an employee, and what are you willing to compensate them for it beyond wages?
Speaking as an employee, here are a few things that Owners could work on.
1. Micromanaging. You suck at being a boss, no point in rubbing it in.
2. Take responsibility for your mistakes. Show a little humility and drop the God complex.
3. I understood you. Why are you still talking? I'm not your personal therapist.

From an employers side here are some things.
1. Shut the <blank> up and get to work. Save the gossip for your off time.
2. Standing around not working? Need I say more?
3. Letting your personal life affect your work? Not gonna last.
4. It's okay to joke around. EVERY 5 minutes it gets <blanking> old. Grow up.

I feel better now:thumbup:

·
IBEW MEMBER
383 Posts

as an employee I want consistent work that is reasonable. tools, men, and materials to get the job done. nothing special really. no screaming when things dont go to plan, proper communication.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
CS....I think you are clearly out of line expecting those things and/or asking for them.

I am, however, in total agreement that if someone chooses to die or to get dismembered, that it would be prudent for them to at least make an attempt to provide the company with a 2 week notice of the impending action.:thumbsup:
I'm admittedly being a d*ck Switch :whistling2:

I can, however, synopsize it

Make the company better $$$ w/o a lotta drama , and you'll make better $$$ too! :thumbsup:

~CS~

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I consider myself to be competent electrician. I Excel in certain areas.
I try to be pro active and efficient.

I think certain office people have unrealistic expectations. Weather they sold the job extremely low, or missed something on the takeoff.
I can only make up so much with labor savings.
I would like to see more performance bonuses. Especially since I run large jobs that consistently do fairly well.
Yet I always seem to get the line at review time. The company can only squeeze out xx % this year.
Last year I got nothing because I got a raise the previous year. That was a slap in the face. And one I won't forget. Should an opportunity arrise

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Speaking as an employee, here are a few things that Owners could work on.
1. Micromanaging. You suck at being a boss, no point in rubbing it in.
2. Take responsibility for your mistakes. Show a little humility and drop the God complex.
3. I understood you. Why are you still talking? I'm not your personal therapist.

From an employers side here are some things.
1. Shut the <blank> up and get to work. Save the gossip for your off time.
2. Standing around not working? Need I say more?
3. Letting your personal life affect your work? Not gonna last.
4. It's okay to joke around. EVERY 5 minutes it gets <blanking> old. Grow up.

I feel better now:thumbup:
Very accurate. :thumbsup:

When I was wiring houses, I had 3 full time guys. I found it very hard to be relaxed and myself - Money was the only thing on my mind, This job was taking to long, that job got screwed up..it never ended. I was very stressed, unhappy, and could not loosen up.

As an employee, I was always upset when It didn't seem like what we did was appreciated. And I never liked when people would look down their nose at me.

But, having had employees before, I can say that if you don't keep a tight rein on what goes on, it will come around and screw you up big time. I tried to treat the guys that worked for me the way I wanted to be treated...:) but it doesn't always work like that, and many of them will try to take advantage of you if they sense any kindness. There is a reason they work for you, and not the other way around.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
I want to win the lotto, so I dont have to deal with this shyt any more.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. So to add to the question then...A lot has been made of processes and procedures. The, this is how we do it here, this is what is expected of you, and this is what you get for x performance and xx performance.

If you are an employee, do you appreciate the fact that the employer has gone to the effort to make everything as clear as possible for both parties, or do you just see it as some more red tape and paperwork?

If you are an employer, do you have that stuff in place and set up? Do the employees appreciate it? Do they have any say in it? Do you actually follow it?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I want to be paid well, respected, provided a safe work environment, kept busy, given the tools to do the job properly, the opportunity to progress further and in return I put in 100% and not screw around on company time.

·
IBEW MEMBER
383 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far. So to add to the question then...A lot has been made of processes and procedures. The, this is how we do it here, this is what is expected of you, and this is what you get for x performance and xx performance.

If you are an employee, do you appreciate the fact that the employer has gone to the effort to make everything as clear as possible for both parties, or do you just see it as some more red tape and paperwork?

If you are an employer, do you have that stuff in place and set up? Do the employees appreciate it? Do they have any say in it? Do you actually follow it?
i would much rather see expectations up front instead of after the fact. as long as they allow for different circumstances too. ex: we want all panels made up within 3 hours etc.

a side note: it would be nice for employers to be upfront with the work situations more. knowing that there is jobs being bid on, etc. the shop I am in is very secretive about everything.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a side note: it would be nice for employers to be upfront with the work situations more. knowing that there is jobs being bid on, etc. the shop I am in is very secretive about everything.
Almost 99% of the construction and service companies I have worked for were that way. They have this idea that either guys will milk a job to make it last till the next one starts, or jump ship before the project is completed, because nothing is on the horizon.

I have actually rarely seen a quality guy do that. They like to see stuff done to completion and on time as much as possible. We have a schedule that every employee has access to, they all can see whats coming up. We are service based though, so everyone knowing makes it easier in my opinion.

Reactions: biltheref

·
IBEW MEMBER
383 Posts
Almost 99% of the construction and service companies I have worked for were that way. They have this idea that either guys will milk a job to make it last till the next one starts, or jump ship before the project is completed, because nothing is on the horizon.

I have actually rarely seen a quality guy do that. They like to see stuff done to completion and on time as much as possible. We have a schedule that every employee has access to, they all can see whats coming up. We are service based though, so everyone knowing makes it easier in my opinion.
exactly, the people I work with sincerely try to be as effective as possible and make some money for the ec. even when we know there probaly isnt much work afterwards, its against our nature to drag things out

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I want to be paid well, respected, provided a safe work environment, kept busy, given the tools to do the job properly, the opportunity to progress further and in return I put in 100% and not screw around on company time.
So do I :thumbsup:

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

Thinking back , i was the lead Jman on a large (by Vt standards) project, with 2 apprentices, one 3rd, one 4th yr.

The deal was, if they could out think me, or outwork me, the beer was on me

Despite that i was young, hung & full 'o dung, i often bought the brew at the days end

But by Gawd, did we do a stroke of biz!:thumbsup:

Now that i'm older, i look back wondering how to recreate those days

~CS~

·
Registered
290 Posts
1. A safe work environment
2. Compensation based on ability
3. Willingness to learn new things
4. Provide avenues for success
5. adapt to changing needs
The only issue I have run into is #2, I tried paying based on ability or bonus based on it. The issue is guys talk about money too much even if asked not to. So then the less skilled workers stop being productive, instead of using it as incentives they use it as a excuse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Employees should expect and get the world from me if,,,,,,,,,,,,
They show up on time,
They leave all their, I have personal insecurity, macho image jewelry at home,
They understand Five o'clock shadow is for actors,
They don't get sick on Mondays, Fridays or before or after Holliday weekends,
They take a 30 min. lunch,
They use their brains, and do the outside work first, if it's not raining when they get to the job,
They bring all the materials needed for the days work with them,
They restock their van, referring to their materials used from van on previous day list,
They do not take non-emergency personal phone calls or text messages on my time,
Treat my tools as if they were their own,
Do not lean anything against my van,
Keep my van organized and clean,
They call me 30 mins. before finishing a job,
Write down all materials used on T&M jobs
Never tell the customer something cant be done, just tell them whats involved or refer to me,
Clean up your mess when done,
Have a written list of material needed to finish job before leaving,
Test everything before leaving,
Never make the same mistake twice,
Work Sat. when needed,
Guess I could go on more, but thats my short list for employees to ask themselves.
Be grateful, you have just been given the pixie dust on how to make your boss always say yes when you ask for a raise. If you are making him money and his customer are smiling, any smart/good boss will always say yes.
I am an owner now, I did my time for my Boss and made him money, Step up and kick ass for your boss, your time will come.
I have good mech. who has been with me for over ten years now, he gets it, he's well paid and taken care of because he is my bread and butter. If you are anything else, please move on so I can find someone else who gets it...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts