Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always kept old wire to bring to the scrap yard. I only use 3 categories - Aluminum - dirty copper - bright copper. I don't go into any further sorting. I've always thrown light fixtures and fans away. I was thinking today that I should probably craigslist this stuff. This got me thinking about the 400+ circuit breakers in my shop that have an inch of dust on them and all of the panels and misc pipe etc. that I throw away. Does anyone get more involved in scrapping or reselling? I'm just curious how much "easy" money I might be throwing away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also electric motors, a.c. coils.
I do almost exclusively residential so I don't see a lot of motors and that type of thing. I have been surprised at how much copper can come out of motor windings though. Any thoughts on circuit breakers? I would never install a used CB, but surely someone must have a use for them.

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
I have a CRAPLOAD of breakers and I don't know why. I can see saving the big or oddball breakers, just in case. I have no idea why I started saving breakers that cost $3.80 brand new. I don't even save the Zinsco or FPE's anymore. I just tell the customers they have to upgrade.

The ceiling fan motors are worth money. About .30 per pound here. Same with HID ballasts. I even started throwing most of my steel onto a trailer instead of in the dumpster.

I scrap ALL my copper wire. A trash can full of romex is $100. THHN is twice that.

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
Everything we can. Copper, steel, stainless, aluminum, brass, motors, ballasts, transformers.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I have always kept old wire to bring to the scrap yard. I only use 3 categories - Aluminum - dirty copper - bright copper. I don't go into any further sorting. I've always thrown light fixtures and fans away. I was thinking today that I should probably craigslist this stuff. This got me thinking about the 400+ circuit breakers in my shop that have an inch of dust on them and all of the panels and misc pipe etc. that I throw away. Does anyone get more involved in scrapping or reselling? I'm just curious how much "easy" money I might be throwing away.
All I can speak to; Is, you are greedy. A 1%'er. (kidding!!!)

By the time you save, store, transport, cash in, run to the bank and cash.... Etc.. think and look at the cost. If that is ALL you do, may be worth it.
All depends on how bad you need the cash.

Personally, I have found over the years, Take care of the (1) Trash (re-utilization technician) guy,
(2) Your Cook/server/bartender (service worker, of your favorite restaurant) and
(3) The security guard.

(1) We never know what we may need to dispose of. Rather than send the extra check to the town clerk for the 'extra bag', just...... If we just cleaned out the shop and there is a bunch of stuff.....
(Trust me, I used to be one :thumbsup: -)

(2) The cook-bartender-server/owner etc.- Big deal when 'schmoozing' a potential or existing customer. (not that I know, but a friend told me. Perks are nice. ( just return the favor!))

(3) Those pain in the butt jobs. When ya gotta bring stuff in and return to the truck like 50 times a day. (Save the lecture for planning ahead).
You all do it and ya know it. With a friend........
Sign in. Do the protocol, then for the little stuff, You can save at least an hour a day.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
16,095 Posts
I scrap all non-ferrous stuff. I put all ferrous stuff out at the the end of my driveway on trash day and it's usually gone within a few hours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts