Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll let this man demonstrate:

Moderator's comment: The below video is as graphic as they get. For now I'm not going to delete it but that doesn't mean another moderator won't delete it, or I may come back and delete it.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,817 Posts
I like the way the arc is coming off the telephone wires......

Demonstration video to educate the locals.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
912 Posts
I had pictures of an accident at Ft Hood in Texas that I used in my electrical safety classes.
Stills, always showed them in the middle of the morning sessions. Stated several times they were graphic and anyone could leave if they needed/wanted to. A customer complained and I was told not to use them any more. When I left Eaton the head safety guy called me and wanted copies for his use. He is still wanting.

I believe it is important for the brain to SEE what our invisible servant is capable of.
I have done lots of work south of the border and they do follow the established electrical codes and practices. Some times way back.
Went to a mine near the Copper Canyon in Mexico and found a 15kv switch 1/2 the size it should have been in height. Called the plant in Mexico City and asked how the heck that they could put a UL sticker on such an abortion? Response this is what the customer wanted.
Several month later it blew up from dirt and dust tracking over the fuses. I declined to go to the job.

I vote for leaving it up. If you must, label it with a "graphic content".

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,567 Posts
Something is not right about that video. The "person" on the pole never moves a muscle even before the sparks fly. Imo, this is staged and that is a dummy but I could be wrong. It just seems odd that there is no body movement thru most of it

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,817 Posts
For most of the video the arcing comes from the telephone wires at his feet, even when he's only in contact with the wooden pole.

Like I said, educational video.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
You guys realize that's a mannequin, right?
Nope, that guy was DRT before they started recording. His legs contracted. Mannequins are usually plastic or other non-conductive materials.

Bummer, probably had no idea how dangerous it was and just doing what his boss told him. See all the lumber?

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,720 Posts
You guys realize that's a mannequin, right?
I couldn't see the video (maybe a Mac thing with no codec ? )

Now I want to see it

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,817 Posts
Nope, that guy was DRT before they started recording. His legs contracted. Mannequins are usually plastic or other non-conductive materials.
Really. And how do you explain the high voltage arcs coming off the telephone wires and no other point of contact with the HV over his head?

·
Premium Member
Professional Engineer (MD, VA, DC, DE) and licensed Master electrician (DE and MD)
115 Posts
Went to a mine near the Copper Canyon in Mexico .....
Did your wing-footed self run with the Taramuhara Indians? ... of Born to Run fame...did you see any ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldn't see the video (maybe a Mac thing with no codec ? )

Now I want to see it
Just go to, "Leaked Reality Videos", and click on "Latest" up at the top. You'll find it in there. There are also a LOT of really incredible videos posted there..... If you're not too squeamish.

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,621 Posts
…gonna save on cremation costs…

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,621 Posts
Christmas tree Font Happy Adaptation T-shirt

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Really. And how do you explain the high voltage arcs coming off the telephone wires and no other point of contact with the HV over his head?
I don’t work HV so I don’t know the correct term for the span of conductor after the insulator but on my iPad, in the beginning I could see one conductor that seemed to make contact, later in the video, the cellphone moved and I couldn’t see it anymore. I’ve watched it twice and really don’t want to watch it again.

EDIT:

OK, I watched it again and you have to zoom in probably on a tablet with my eyes but in the beginning after the camera stops shake it, it looks like a midspan drop a foot or so from the insulator. I don’t know what it’s called but it’s there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts