Electrician Talk banner

What is the best industrial clamp meter?

• Field Machine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ideal

• Klein

What Fluke meter best suits a field technician in the industrial field?

2730 Views 39 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  NateBigmeech
Currently i have the Fluke 325 and have looked into most every meter i could find that would benefit me in my field and then have bonus features that make life in the electrical field easier. I am really into the Fluke 378FC due to the Supreme accuracy, iFlex accessory, FIELDSENSE (i am very excited about fieldsense also have looked at the t6-1000 but the 378FC is just awesome in every category) and the power quality harmonic detector as well as the upstream or downstream orientation to where the problem lies in the system.
Any experience with these i would love to hear especially reviews on FieldSense. I need to know whether i should really be excited about it or not.
Thank you all for reading and sharing experience as i an apprentice and am really getting into this both feet and need guidance.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
Industrial/ commercial/ residential electrician apprentice
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What features really make this one stand out to you and make you job easier and is better quality? Do you think it's worth sacrificing the clamp for the accuracy?

· Registered
2,496 Posts
What features really make this one stand out to you and make you job easier and is better quality? Do you think it's worth sacrificing the clamp for the accuracy?
You can get a clamp for an 87. I hardly use my 789 anymore, moved away from 90% instrumentation 7 years ago to 10%, and my 325 I use for clamping. I use my crap Klein in the air where if it falls it would be doing me a favor.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It kind of depends on what you’re going to work on. Smaller motors and equipment, the a T5-1000 is handy.
I really like the t5-1000 what are your favorite things about it? The only reason i wanted the t6 was due to the jaw being another 5mm and the fact that it has Field Sense contactless voltage readings. Do you think it's a better buy to get the t5 since it's about 100 cheaper or do you think the extra couple of features are worth the little extra?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can get a clamp for an 87. I hardly use my 789 anymore, moved away from 90% instrumentation 7 years ago to 10%, and my 325 I use for clamping. I use my crap Klein in the air where if it falls it would be doing me a favor.

Haha! I've heard klein does not make a good clamp meter, is it really that much worse? Is it just inaccurate or what makes it so bad?
I love my 325 so far, what does the 87 have that makes it that little bit better to you? Looks like an awesome meter btw i looked it up and it seems pretty badass

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed, super ergonomic.

So it really feels good in the hand and is smaller and easier to put in your pocket as well as easy to use and get quick readings? How do you feel about the t6 with Field Sense and the sidelights wider jaw? Is there a reason i shouldn't get the t6 over the t5? I know price is a big factor but i an really impressed by field sense contactless voltage readings that is a new feature that blows my mind that it's even possible and i really want that on my team!

· Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
2,160 Posts

· Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
2,160 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! I read these and got good info and was able to reply and answer questions of my own within the thread hopefully i will only gain more answers in this quest to find whether the t6-1000 is a piece of **** or the best cheapest field sense technology fluke has, i appreciate that link.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the 376fc for everyday
And a 1587fc megger
So your 376FC is your favorite meter? I'm really impressed by field sense in the next models, the 377 and 8 but if the 376fc were sufficient, for the price i could see where i could get great use from such a great meter.

I know this is a dumb question but I'm just an apprentice of 5 months. I've heard of a megger guess that's short for megohmmeter and i know they use a large battery right to send its own signal to test the resistance, correct? What exactly is it used for and why? I'm really interested to understand what a megger is and why you need to meg a wire! And also how it works if you know, thanks so much is your could answer these, i truly appreciate it!

· Banned
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,822 Posts
So your 376FC is your favorite meter? I'm really impressed by field sense in the next models, the 377 and 8 but if the 376fc were sufficient, for the price i could see where i could get great use from such a great meter.

I know this is a dumb question but I'm just an apprentice of 5 months. I've heard of a megger guess that's short for megohmmeter and i know they use a large battery right to send its own signal to test the resistance, correct? What exactly is it used for and why? I'm really interested to understand what a megger is and why you need to meg a wire! And also how it works if you know, thanks so much is your could answer these, i truly appreciate it!
Field sense is a garbage fad. I like my 376 it has the clamp meter and the flixable current probe. I also like using it with the app to record my measurements. I like the fact it has the magnetic hanging strap too.
My megger uses like 4 aa batteries. It’s used For testing insulation resistance of wire and motors ect. It works by sending a high voltage down the wire and measuring any leakage

Also your meter should be provided by whatever company you use and if they don’t they are crazy Becuase it’s a huge insurance risk trusting a apprentice to spend 600$ on a quality correctly catagoized meter. You should only need to provide a wiggy at most

· Banned
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,822 Posts

Also I don’t think the 378 was out when I got the 376 lol

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Field sense is a garbage fad. I like my 376 it has the clamp meter and the flixable current probe. I also like using it with the app to record my measurements. I like the fact it has the magnetic hanging strap too.
My megger uses like 4 aa batteries. It’s used For testing insulation resistance of wire and motors ect. It works by sending a high voltage down the wire and measuring any leakage

Also your meter should be provided by whatever company you use and if they don’t they are crazy Becuase it’s a huge insurance risk trusting a apprentice to spend 600$ on a quality correctly catagoized meter. You should only need to provide a wiggy at most
Understandable, i appreciate the feedback and i completely agree on the company supplying needed electrical equipment, i have my 325 idk if that will do everything I'll need for a good while, my buddy has been an electrician for a few years and he only has an ideal standard meter and has never needed anything more to date so maybe I'm ahead of myself but i love technology and i love fluke, that's what fuels me, i truly love electrical work i just wish i could get paid more. i work hard im on time I'm always at work when they tell me to be and i have the nicest set of tools and meters on the job only short of one super intendent who also loves tools. Now i know that doesn't make me a better electrician but an apprentice without tools on them to be used or borrowed by my main electrician when he doesn't have his on him is lacking, I've showed as much initiative as i can to show I'm serious im in this and i want to be the best i can be now i want a serious raise! Lol

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is what I heard about field sense. It's kinda gimicky, and some claim dangerous. The video below is a commercial electrician that demonstrates why he says it is not dangerous, but not necessarily a value.

Wow i had no idea I'll watch this and see if i can come up with more info to make an informed decision, i really wish i had the money for the 378fc it's just really nice does it all IMO better than the "all the bells and whistles" 381

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is what I heard about field sense. It's kinda gimicky, and some claim dangerous. The video below is a commercial electrician that demonstrates why he says it is not dangerous, but not necessarily a value.

I watched the video and i have heated similar things but why is field sense so bad? I know it's very finicky but once used to it, it seems like you'd be able to safely measure voltage to see if something is safe to work on or to see if your work is done fairly quickly without probes.

Maybe it's one of those things that sounds nice but in use is inaccurate and hard to make work, possibly by the time you finally get a reading you might as well have broke out the 325 and test leads anyway. I just thought it would be neat to not need exposed wire to test it

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.