Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is what I walked into today when a customer said her handyman was installing ceiling fans.

The handyman installed 4 ceiling fans all with blue spreader bar boxes.
Two rooms had existing switch legs. So he put the receiver in the attic cut the switch leg and air spliced it.

Caused 8 bedroom outlets not to work. Said it was because of brittle wiring.

Installed 4 ceiling fan remote kits. Didn't adjust any dip switches so all the fans turned on at the same time. So he removed 3 remote kits and told the homeowner to use pull chains on the 3 fans.
When he removed the receivers he threw them in the trash.

He was on this job with 2 helpers the home owners said for 3 days. Also paid in full.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
No pity. When I worked at home depot a couple people asked me to install their fans. I said no but I'm sure they feel entitled to an "installer" for 20-30 bucks provided they buy the fan themselves. I bet these people post on kijiji all the time wanting "electricians" for about 15 bucks an hour.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Why do almost all hacks and handymen use 12/2 for everything? :laughing:
Two reasons:

1. They read on an innernets forum that 12 is superior.

2. They don't have to worry about breaker size.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
MTW said:
Because in their mind their doing something good. And when your work sucks you need something to feel good about yourself.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I like the remote transmitter beside the box. And hey guys don't be too hard on the hack he moved the insulation away to prevent the exposed wiring from heating up too much and starting a fire...... They need a face slap emoticon here!

·
Registered
Electrician
4,402 Posts
Most hacks will at least run the 12-2 all the way to the ceiling box. This appears a little shy of making it to the box!:laughing:
He did throw some wire nuts on it at least.;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts