Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A piece of roof top equipment that has nameplate info stating "copper conductors only" but is fed with SER.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,816 Posts
Red Tag. Make a transition to cu before you connect the machine. It is mainly CYA for a manufacturer to state this. Alum conductors nowadays are pretty close to copper.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red Tag. Make a transition to cu before you connect the machine.
Oh this job is inspected and done with a c.o.

Kinda goes back to my thread narcissistic foreman. I informed him about the discrepancy.. Was told it doesn't matter. He is a douche.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
flashover said:
Oh this job is inspected and done with a c.o. Kinda goes back to my thread narcissistic foreman. I informed him about the discrepancy.. Was told it doesn't matter. He is a douche.
. If that's the case , hook it up with the aluminum feeder ! It's his ass that'll swing for this one , if he doesn't know how to read a spec book , lol ! After all , you're only as good as your leadership and if he's not listening and is in charge , you really have no worries at all !

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Big John said:
Either butt-splice in some copper or crimp on some pin adapters. First one is likely faster because most people don't stock pins, but the second looks cleaner.
You ever used copper pin terminals? I've never seen them

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Oh this job is inspected and done with a c.o.

Kinda goes back to my thread narcissistic foreman. I informed him about the discrepancy.. Was told it doesn't matter. He is a douche.
Stupid question....did you actually look at the conductors? There is copper SER.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Big John said:
They weren't copper, but they were CU/AL rated for exactly this same problem. I wanna say Burndy made them, I'll see if I can find them.
. Burndy and ilsco both make these and I'm pretty sure they have a dual rating as well . Last time I used the reducers was to fit into a breaker and they worked great !

·
Registered
32,120 Posts
Either butt-splice in some copper or crimp on some pin adapters. First one is likely faster because most people don't stock pins, but the second looks cleaner.
John I am sure I know the answer but in completing IR's Mac Adapt type connectors (Pin Adaptors) are a high failure item. I believe it is utilizing an improper crimp tool.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Big John said:
They weren't copper, but they were CU/AL rated for exactly this same problem. I wanna say Burndy made them, I'll see if I can find them.
Alright I'm with ya. I've only ever used burndy or ilsco pins and they are all al/cu rated. However, if the equipment specifies copper conductors wouldn't you need a copper pin?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
John I am sure I know the answer but in completing IR's Mac Adapt type connectors (Pin Adaptors) are a high failure item. I believe it is utilizing an improper crimp tool.
That's a new one to me, good to know. I don't run into them very often except on DLO cable where I figured the burnups were do to them not being listed for that stranding.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
drumnut08 said:
. Burndy and ilsco both make these and i'm pretty sure they have a dual rating as well . Last time i used the reducers was to fit into a breaker and they worked great !

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Thats a correct assumption Brian. I was having some issues with the ILSCO reducing pins (about 200 terminations) coming loose from the conductors and they sent a rep to investigate. The first question he asked me was "what kind of crimper are you using"?. Since we used the incorrect crimper he couldn't and wouldn't warranty the pins.

We got stuck with the bill on reterminating all the connections but he was good enough to give us the new pins at cost and sell me their crimper at cost.

·
Registered
32,120 Posts
Thats a correct assumption Brian. I was having some issues with the ILSCO reducing pins (about 200 terminations) coming loose from the conductors and they sent a rep to investigate. The first question he asked me was "what kind of crimper are you using"?. Since we used the incorrect crimper he couldn't and wouldn't warranty the pins.

We were hired to investigate a job that had a high failure of the crimp on connectors.

Found the electrician was VERY CAREFUL to leave the plastic (that is in some aluminum conductors) around the aluminum conductor when he put them in the connector.:blink:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
We were hired to investigate a job that had a high failure of the crimp on connectors.

Found the electrician was VERY CAREFUL to leave the plastic (that is in some aluminum conductors) around the aluminum conductor when he put them in the connector.:blink:
:laughing::laughing:

Reactions: Big John

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
brian john said:
We were hired to investigate a job that had a high failure of the crimp on connectors. Found the electrician was VERY CAREFUL to leave the plastic (that is in some aluminum conductors) around the aluminum conductor when he put them in the connector.:blink:
that cuts down on the potential oxidation , oh , and the conductivity a little too , I guess , lol ?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I've ran into this issue in the RV receptacle boxes.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I've seen this problem solved by using the aluminum to feed the disconnect switch, and then copper from there to the unit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts