Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just put a pot of water on to boil and I go to take a shower and I hear what sounds like a dead short. So I got to see what happened and this is what I see.

What in the world?

Attachments

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,042 Posts
When those stove eyes burn out they usually do exactly what you had happen. Unfortunately the pot got it also.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love electricians! Lol there's no gas service in my subdivision yet. Seriously though. What would cause that. Breaker didn't trip but when I turned the burner off the light indicating that a burner was on was still lit

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Maybe you should scrape together some change from the couch and buy a whole new stove. :whistling2:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We most likely will. We've replaced everything else this year. New windows, extensive HVAC etc. stove should be no problem

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...What would cause that. Breaker didn't trip but when I turned the burner off the light indicating that a burner was on was still lit
The elements are coated in a ceramic insulator. When the ceramic cracks the element can fault out, but because it is a resistor it's not gonna create a dead short and the breaker may not see it. That failure is really common in oven elements because they'll crack and touch the grounded internal surface on of the oven.

In your case I think it probably shorted to one of those metal supports. My guess is the burner switch only breaks one leg of the 240V and the ground fault is allowing current to continue flowing even when the switch is off hence the burner indicator light.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Totally normal. See it loads of times, including on a 20 year old stove I was using. The full size back burner did that as well as the bake element.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
The elements are coated in a ceramic insulator. When the ceramic cracks the resistor can fault out. That failure is really common in oven elements because they'll crack and touch the grounded internal surface on of the oven.

In your case I think it probably shorted to one of those metal supports. My guess is the burner switch only breaks one leg of the 240V and the ground fault is allowing current to continue flowing even when the switch is off hence the burner indicator light.
Most stoves break both legs when turned to the full off position for the top burners. Bake and Broil tend to go both ways, with more just breaking one leg.

As for the surface light being on Id guess he didn't turn the switch to off?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
So I just put a pot of water on to boil and I go to take a shower and I hear what sounds like a dead short. So I got to see what happened and this is what I see.

What in the world?
FWIW, I would just like to remind you as to the #1 cause of house fires in the US: unattended cooking.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
You know that those elements are replaceable, right? The reason is, they do that every now and then...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know they are replaceable, but what has got me concerned is the indicator light being on even when everything on the stove is turned to the OFF position

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,679 Posts
There is SER cable and a blue box connected to all this somehow I just know it......

I've replaced a hundred burner elements that did that at the least in my time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts