Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
13,020 Posts
Depends on state licensing who would be allowed to do lighting retrofits like that.

That'd be boring as sh!t though, man.... I run a service van and enjoy it. Although sometimes it would be nice to get dispatched to our current mill job and just be braindead for like a week.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we've been doing it for months and it kills me. I think I figuredout why the4th years here are only making $11 an hour - they've only been doing retrofits for the last four years and know **** all about anything else.

·
13,020 Posts
Speaking about annoying, what ever happened to that maritime museum you were working on in Newport?
Wow that was a long time ago.

It was my apprenticeship class actually. We didn't do any electrical work, but our Training Director decided to organize a Saturday class doing some volunteer stuff for the Museum. They were located in an old historic building that they were trying to renovate.

So I took my apprentices in and partnered them up and provided them each with a set of prints. Their job was to trace out the entire electrical system. I took care of the MDP and feeder one-line stuff but there were multiple sub panels so I basically assigned a team to each one. It was a fun project in a cool old building. We compiled all of the separate prints into one Master print and gave it to the museum people for future reference. They hired a contractor to do the actual electrical work needed.

At any rate, that was like 4 years ago and the museum is actually up and running now :thumbsup: http://www.oregoncoast.history.museum/maritimecenter.html

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Wow that was a long time ago.

It was my apprenticeship class actually. We didn't do any electrical work, but our Training Director decided to organize a Saturday class doing some volunteer stuff for the Museum. They were located in an old historic building that they were trying to renovate.

So I took my apprentices in and partnered them up and provided them each with a set of prints. Their job was to trace out the entire electrical system. I took care of the MDP and feeder one-line stuff but there were multiple sub panels so I basically assigned a team to each one. It was a fun project in a cool old building. We compiled all of the separate prints into one Master print and gave it to the museum people for future reference. They hired a contractor to do the actual electrical work needed.

At any rate, that was like 4 years ago and the museum is actually up and running now :thumbsup: http://www.oregoncoast.history.museum/maritimecenter.html
Neat. I just remember watching your shaking hands on YouTube and getting a huge headache from it. :p I'm glad they finished it. That place looked like it needed a mega rewire from your video.

Edit: sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
...like, if you're with a company that just does ballast and light bulb changes is that even considered electrical work? Would you bail from that company?
We all have to do things from time to time that we don't enjoy. Is this truly the only thing this company does, or is it just the only aspect you've been involved with so far? Lighting projects can be more involved than simply changing ballasts and bulbs. One of our sister companies designs and manufacturers lights and they are partnered with Kanepi Innovations which does wireless lighting controls.

What happened to large hotel job you were on?

·
Electrical Contractor
5,633 Posts
I think most electricians have done that at one point or another.

Now I look like a girl when I reel a fishtape up. Legs tucked together and bent to the side like I'm riding a horse side saddled.
Only takes once to be on alert lol

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Yeah we've been doing it for months and it kills me. I think I figuredout why the4th years here are only making $11 an hour - they've only been doing retrofits for the last four years and know **** all about anything else.
Heck I wouldn,t even get out of bed for $11.00 an hour,
Double that would be bare minimum.

Surely electricians dont work for $11.00 an hour ?
do they ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't know about you guys but I'd much rather change out ballast and lamps all day than go climbing and crawling through attics and crawl spaces all day. Granted I don't do both all day every day but if I had to choose I'd pick the ballasts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.