Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this house and was actually looking for an outlet in the basement to plug up my grow lights. I found this painted over outlet on the ceiling and something connected into it which I think is the doorbell. Is this outlet safe? Will it support 4000 Watts of light? Thanks for reading!

·
Electrical Contractor
5,618 Posts
1500 max.
Hire an electrician to install the proper wiring, or make sure your insurance is up to date and try your 4000 watts

• Haha
Reactions: Almost Retired

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,488 Posts
That's a basic standard outlet from the 1940s - 1960s.

If nothing else is on the circuit, it'll go 1500 Watts Max.

For 4000 Watts, you'll need #10 wire and a 30 amp 2 pole circuit breaker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a basic standard outlet from the 1940s - 1960s.

If nothing else is on the circuit, it'll go 1500 Watts Max.

For 4000 Watts, you'll need #10 wire and a 30 amp 2 pole circuit breaker.
Thank you!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com, however, working with electricity can be unsafe if not done by a professional electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional in your area.

If you are pernitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, then please sign up at our sister site www.diychatroom.com where many of our professional electricians are also members there and would be happy to assist you.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.diychatroom.com. If you are not a member then sign up for a free account at www.diychatroom.com
/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread is closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.