Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, really. They sell you a metal box that must be bonded by code, and you have to buy your ground screws separately? Almost every metal box I buy has a bonding means ready to go. Screws are either installed or at least in a little bag but included. A few WP boxes don't come with screws, of these, most have a 1/4" stud spot welded to the inside to facilitate bonding. I have never heard of buying a ground screw and I wonder if my wholesaler might think I was crazy if I asked......

I use mostly Sq D products as far as panels go. They always have plenty of ground bars installed out of the box and then they throw in a small bag with more ground bars and mounting hardware. And on some of the smaller panels I actually remove some of the neutral bars to make more wire space down the side of the panel.

Why is this not as common in the US? Your bonding rules are the very similar if not identical. Why are the manufacturers not supplying you with a complete kit for the install?

This is not meant to be a Canada vs US thing. I'm just trying to understand why this happens in the US. Have separate ground screws for boxes always been a thing?

·
Estwing magic
26,374 Posts
That’s weird.

What bugs me is that an octagon box has two bonding screws and a 4 X 4 box only has one. Quit being so cheap.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It's just the way it is. Usually boxes bigger than 4 11/16 come with a ground screw. I would imagine it is factored into the cost of the box. I just expect that when I install a metal box I need to get a ground screw to go with it. It may hark back to a time when running a ground wire was less common than it is now. You don't need a screw in every box if you don't have a green wire.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s weird.

What bugs me is that an octagon box has two bonding screws and a 4 X 4 box only has one. Quit being so cheap.
So you want two screws in a 4x4 so you can save 1 wire nut? Quit being so cheap!

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,464 Posts
Sometimes the metal box is grounded by the metal conduit, no need for a ground screw.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Convenience. You responded in a very aggressive, condescending and accusatory manner and now my feelings are hurt. You should say you’re sorry.
Had no idea you were the sensitive type. Too bad.

Reactions: 99cents

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes the metal box is grounded by the metal conduit, no need for a ground screw.
That's true. But for those time when metal conduit is not used, wouldn't it be handy to have a ground screw just waiting there for you? I can't believe a ground screw would drastically change the cost of that box.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
That's true. But for those time when metal conduit is not used, wouldn't it be handy to have a ground screw just waiting there for you? I can't believe a ground screw would drastically change the cost of that box.
If you're purchasing 1000s of cases from a manufacturer, it may make a difference in price. Who are you going to buy from if the screw isn't usually or always used?

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Reactions: Kevin and jbfan

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,776 Posts
It gets really really dry here in the winter. The static build up on PVC is immense... In the kV range.
Thousands of lives were being lost, until they figured out bonding the PVC allowed the static to discharge.

True story dat :p

·
Estwing magic
26,374 Posts
You Canucks have to bond the plastic? Can PVC be used for grounding? :unsure:
jb is laughing right now. He’s a very evil man.

There’s an urban myth about Canadians bonding plastic. It isn’t true but if you want to be entertained by Canadians brutalizing Americans over common sense, it’s easy to find.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
jb is laughing right now. He’s a very evil man.

There’s an urban myth about Canadians bonding plastic. It isn’t true but if you want to be entertained by Canadians brutalizing Americans over common sense, it’s easy to find.
Alright polyvinyl has to be bonded (PVC). :D

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Oh oh...maybe all the pex I've run should've been bonded.🤣
Seriously, IME if I needed a ground bar, I had to get a ground bar kit.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In addition to the large ground bars that are already installed in most Sq D panels, I've always gotten 1 of these out of the box:

I rarely use them and have piles of them all over the shop. Sometimes I just throw them in the trash. How many does a guy need to keep on hand anyway?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts