Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from time to time i have to work on outdoor panels with abandoned KO's in the bottom
the only way to know whether wasps are in there is to open it and look
CRC made some years ago that was awsome, it would drop them dead in the air
but then they changed the recipe, and now mediocre at best

the best i have found recently is Raid Defender for wasps and hornets
they only hit the ground and die if they are truly soaked, even then it takes a min
most of them fly off, some come back PO'd, some dont come back

I need a better spray !!

·
Hackenschmidt
13,451 Posts
I used to use the RAID spray at one site where all the panels were outdoors and there were always pests in there. It worked OK but like you say, not good enough.

Then I thought a little about spraying something combustible into a panel. Now I use one of those mosquito headnets over my hardhat, or a hoodie with the hood up and goggles, and gloves - no exposed skin - and go hand to hand with them.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to use the RAID spray at one site where all the panels were outdoors and there were always pests in there. It worked OK but like you say, not good enough.

Then I thought a little about spraying something combustible into a panel. Now I use one of those mosquito headnets over my hardhat, or a hoodie with the hood up and goggles, and gloves - no exposed skin - and go hand to hand with them.
i live too far south to put on even long sleeves in the summer
all of that garb would have me soaked completely thru in about 20 mins

my thin short sleeved shirt is usually soaked after 20 mins in the heat anyway

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mix 2 tablespoons of dish soap in a spray bottle and fill with water. The soap will clog their spiracles, the pores that they breathe through, and will kill them almost immediately.
i know that but it is water based and conductive
i want to use it in breaker panels

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
3,399 Posts
define pretty well
do they drop out of flight dead ?

the link is for 82.00 and a dozen cans
Well a blast to a nest will drop them off right now, straight dead, or weakly kicking but no fight. As far as the anti-aircraft style hit whilst they're flying, I don't have a definative answer, as it's so hard to hit them.
If you can talk to a propane delivery driver, ask them as the dome cover on a tank is a favorite place for wasps to build nests.
The Amazon link was just a quick reference as I get it from a local supplier.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts