Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people are slave driving whip crackers, others are more laid back. What is your style dealing with employees? Journeymen, apprentices, office personnel? Why? How do you keep a good level of morale, while maximizing profit?

·
Super Moderator
21,917 Posts
When I started I must have been horrible to work for simply because we were never resting. I guess I pushed hard then.

Today I see it more as treating them as you would want to be treated. Firmness is warranted at times but mostly I give them lots of freedom. I have 2 good men who do not screw off so that helps. They know that the better we do as a company the better their bonus is at the end of the year.

I also treat them to lunch a couple of times a month and if I can't be there they just use my credit card.

Usually but not always if you treat them right they tend to look after you.

I look at it this way since I don't work in the field anymore. If they can work and make me money then I should do what I can to thank them- financially

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
Handling employees is like parenting - you tell them what you expect out of them, call them out when they're wrong, praise them when they're right and treat them like human beings because that's what they are. If you expect them to listen to you then you better be prepared to listen to them. And never lose sight of the fact that you're the alpha dog.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Clear and concise instructions orally and written.
What the goals and timeline of the project are no matter what the size.

I'm trying to get more things in writing anywhere between sales techniques to mission statement.Simple outlines and instructions "Associates"can follow ad-libbed if they need to. Like a performance/reference binder, so people can refer back to what were sposed to be doing including me.
Also a side note I prefer flat rate Price Books to the electronics you can have it in writing and pictures to show customers.
I feel the more you have in writing the less stress you experience (the writing aspects backs your play)

·
Registered
62 Posts
In my head I like to yell and scream at the guys when they mess something up, but generally keep my cool and just talk and explain things. Thankfully they don't usually mess things up.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
I try to give the guys as much freedom and adapt my style to meet their needs as much as possible. I'll admit I'm not the best listener. Often I'll prioritize keeping clients happy or gaining new ones. I put a lot of trust in my guys to be an extension of my hand. Sometimes I miss something important that they told me- that's something I want to improve on.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I like to talk to them in a little baby voice: "oooooh, dat is so cute ! did you go doodie in your pants and decide to mount some to the wall ? Did mommie forget to give you your pebbles vitamin today ? Here, snowflake, here's a quarter. Go call mommie and have a chat - she's the only person on the planet besides you that knows you are the best electrician in town !"

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I inform all under me that i'll impart everything and every source i know to them on one condition

They are a sparky for life.:thumbup:

~CS~

·
Jesus Scott
9,383 Posts
My style is best summed up as a leader.....not a boss. Lead by example.
That's a great answer. :)

Having just endured employment for a 30 year old douchebag, I can say with authority if you aren't leading, you aren't succeeding. Any clown can be a boss. But leaders are a different breed.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I treat everyone with respect, older or younger. Even if a guy isn't all that bright I'm ok with him. But when a guy has a really bad attitude, I can't stand it.

So when treating others, it really comes down to the persons attitude.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
I more laid back with my employees. I do however have high expectations from them and they know it. I'm grateful to have exceptional employees.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
Some people are slave driving whip crackers, others are more laid back. What is your style dealing with employees? Journeymen, apprentices, office personnel? Why? How do you keep a good level of morale, while maximizing profit?

Just give me 7 to 12

Show up Sober at 6: 45 , Break at 10 , Lunch at 12

Second break at 2 all packed up by 3:30 ( make this a job meeting)

Pete

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
I'm pretty laid back. I try to bid jobs so guys don't have to work like there's a fire behind them.
And if they have a question on what to do I say " what do you think we should do" . I want them to think outside the box and learn to trouble shoot like I'm on vacation in Florida. I believe empowering people to think on their own is a big key to success in almost any facet of business.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts