Electrician Talk banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
sorry to hear it's not working out. you didn't get rid of ol Red did you ?

·
Conservitum Americum
8,728 Posts
I try to give the guys as much freedom and adapt my style to meet their needs as much as possible. I'll admit I'm not the best listener. Often I'll prioritize keeping clients happy or gaining new ones. I put a lot of trust in my guys to be an extension of my hand. Sometimes I miss something important that they told me- that's something I want to improve on.
Recognizing your shortcomings and your willingness to improve is the first step. While I am employed I like someone to tell me when I do something wrong to let me understand and improve myself. I hate a boss that just stacks up things then hits you with all of it at once.

My style is laid back but firm in achieving the goals set forth. Sometimes when I have a helper and they are worthless I try to correct / motivate them but if it is futile, I do their work and mine just to get the job done.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I learned early that there are 2 reasons that an employee does not preform as expected:

1) I did not provide them with something they needed ie: training, instruction, tools, motivation.

2) They don't want to.

respond accordingly.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
I'm loving these answers.

After 20 years of doing the one man thing, being an employee is hard. Worse, I went to work for a total POS. Moving forward, back into the electrical bizz but as an employee, I'm happy to see it's not all a world of shockdocs. That gives me at least a little bit of hope. :thumbsup:
I just team up with a mechanical contractor in Hoboken. I'm shutting my llc down and starting a new one with him. It's basically three corporations under one banner. I'm pretty excited to be part of a bigger team.
I have found it very difficult to go past a certain point when I was on my own. Especially since I have three small kids now.
Everybody has told me not to do it but I'm throwing caution to the wind and going to give it a shot.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just team up with a mechanical contractor in Hoboken. I'm shutting my llc down and starting a new one with him. It's basically three corporations under one banner. I'm pretty excited to be part of a bigger team.
I have found it very difficult to go past a certain point when I was on my own. Especially since I have three small kids now.
Everybody has told me not to do it but I'm throwing caution to the wind and going to give it a shot.
Good Luck :thumbsup:

41 - 47 of 47 Posts