Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
EC, master electrician
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled lap screws and cut foam insulation for 4 hours this afternoon. Big truck mechanic shop I wired last summer (125’x300’x24’ big) and they decided to screw signs to the outside walls today to mark bay numbers. The shop foreman called me and said he has no lights so I’m thinking they screwed into a switch leg and killed the lighting contactor. Well, they did get the switch leg (there are 12 switches, btw), but they also found 5 of my light circuits and a 6/2 for a welder. I ran out of 4 sq boxes.

·
Big nosed attic troll
9,846 Posts
cleaning up after fast and messy techs.... fitting out a van for some fun upgrades....

·
Registered
EC, master electrician
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finished rebuilding the frame for our hunting tent. Took about 230' of 1" EMT. Then built a stand for a thickness planer. Finished it off with a smoked chicken Ceasar salad and a cold one. Gotta love days off.
Sounds like a good day off, I’m more of a backpack hunter myself. (I don’t hunt backpacks)
cleaning up after fast and messy techs.... fitting out a van for some fun upgrades....
Like reclining seats?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Never seen one of those either, but I would have loved a panel full of them 2 days ago..
Troubleshooting wiring some local yokel did on a home reno. Whole house is on 2 unlabeled 200a fuse panels. Nothing beats unscrewing 30 fuses to find a circuit, then doing it 6 more times to find the others.
Soffit lights had no switch leg.. the switch was wired as a master for basement 3way switches on other end of house. Kitchen 4 way switch was added by splicing a couple 14-2 into middle of travellers.. one of a dozen tape ball splices in the attic.

Yesterday we wired radiant heaters in a shop, then raced towards home to stand a temp service right as the blizzard hit.

Today will be coffee and baileys then more snow blowing. Looks like another foot overnight.. still coming down.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,063 Posts
Picked the two youngest up at school, took them to a playground for a bit. Then we went down to the intercoastal an fed a flock of geese before leaving to pick up the wife at work.

Made Caesar salad and pizza for supper.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,955 Posts
I helped one of the diesel mechanics troubleshoot a bad engine wiring harness by showing him how to make a custom back probe for the ECM harness plug. I used a paper clip I partially straightened out and flattened with a hammer, then hit with a grinder to narrow up. Cummins has very small pins on the ECM and you have to have a long thin and flat probe to reach in and back probe the harness plug.
Old man down dirty techniques.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts