Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wyome
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a job coming up where the contractor wants to put in 9 recessed lights in what amounts to an entertainment center room in a new house. Because of load requirements the ceiling structure is made up of 2x8's 7-1/2" on center. That's right, there is only 6 inches clearance between each ceiling joist. He wants us to find a recelled can that will fit in that space. The smallest plaster frame I've found to date is 7-7/8" on recessed cans. I did see some remodel fixtures that would work if need be, but I would rather put in the fixture before the drywall goes on the ceiling if possible. Any other ideas out there? Thanks

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Most manufactuers make a 'shallow-frame' can that can be installed into 2x6 framing, so they are 5-1/4 or 5-1/2" tall. This depth may limit your choice of trim, however.

·
Mad Skills
5,803 Posts
Most manufactuers make a 'shallow-frame' can that can be installed into 2x6 framing, so they are 5-1/4 or 5-1/2" tall. This depth may limit your choice of trim, however.
DEPTH doesn't seem to be the issue...rather WIDTH ~
Because of load requirements the ceiling structure is made up of 2x8's 7-1/2" on center. That's right, there is only 6 inches clearance between each ceiling joist.
I find that to be insane....a few micro-lams or even steel might have been a better choice.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Ceiling joists must be holding up the subway. Maybe this room is underground? I can think of lots of choices.First concern would be heat problems though. I would be reluctant to install general fittings in such a tight unventilated space. Miniature down lighters using LED GU lamps might work. Plenty of space and no concerns about heat. Also T5 recessed tube fittings are around with lots of fancy diffusers/reflectors to match. These if I recall are only 4 inches wide and run cool.

Frank

·
Wyome
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. This is just a regular basement but there will be floor heat on the upper level so the contractors framed it this way for the weight of the concrete above. Not just lightweight gyp-crete, concrete. No mention of this at bid time though. Frank, heat could present a problem. I'll have to see if I can find some LED stuff. My normal suppliers don't seem to want to deal with this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.