Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The number of times someone post, "Its never done that way, or you can't do that) Assuming it meets the code

1. Because you do it one way does not make it right or wrong or code, that is a PERSONAL PREFERENCE. (Hook wire for switching and plugging, ground up, twist, don't twist and on and on).

2. Just because you never saw something done a particular way does not mean it is wrong, you just never thought about doing it differently.

3. It may be Gospel where you live, but you work in a small portion of a great country (USA and Canada), other areas may do it differently does not make it right or wrong, just different..

4. Don't make stuff up and if you do not know admit it and go looking for the correct answer.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,406 Posts
“There’s two ways to do it. My way and the Navy way. And my way is the Navy way”.

Thats what a particular foreman used to say to his men when I started out. It always ended all discussion. He was a quiet guy. Very particular.

If you didn’t like that, maybe you would go to work for the other big foreman. His name was Sarg. He was a little louder.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,487 Posts
I don't have too much use for people who are so narrow-minded that they simply cannot understand doing anything other than their way.
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There are things that should be code, according to some of us that have been around awhile, that are not code.
My for instance is the wires gong to a receptacle should be pig tailed off the circuit passing through the box, instead of using the receptacle to pass the circuit through the box.
The little tab between the screws burnes apart and anything down stream does not work.
But, I guess, if the receptacles were pig tailed many of us would not be making good money simply replacing a receptacle.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,487 Posts
There are things that should be code, according to some of us that have been around awhile, that are not code.
My for instance is the wires gong to a receptacle should be pig tailed off the circuit passing through the box, instead of using the receptacle to pass the circuit through the box.
The little tab between the screws burnes apart and anything down stream does not work.
But, I guess, if the receptacles were pig tailed many of us would not be making good money simply replacing a receptacle.
Curious why you think the tab is a weak spot.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Curious why you think the tab is a weak spot.
I've worked on several houses where I have found the tab between the terminal screws to have burnt off.
The entire load on the circuit is passing through that tab which, if you ask me, looks like it has no where near the cross sectional area of say a #12 wire.
When I was doing commercial work we always pig tailed the receptacle.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,339 Posts
In my code book you are not allowed to pull spares or labeling control wires before pulling them.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,339 Posts
I've worked on several houses where I have found the tab between the terminal screws to have burnt off.
The entire load on the circuit is passing through that tab which, if you ask me, looks like it has no where near the cross sectional area of say a #12 wire.
When I was doing commercial work we always pig tailed the receptacle.
Commercial has more room in the box. So is that a blanket statement to the guys who do residential.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,475 Posts
I've never seen a burnt tab on a receptacle ... ever !

As to what I may forget ...
Where I put my glasses
where i left my tools
where i put my keys
my passwords
my girlfriends name 😂

·
Registered
255 Posts
Commercial has more room in the box. So is that a blanket statement to the guys who do residential.
No, it's just a statement, do what you want with it.
Why would the commercial device box volume be any different than a residential device box volume if they are the same size?
After my house flooded from hurricane Harvey, I rewired the house and pig tailed every receptacle.
I personally have found the tab burnt off two receptacles in my house, prior to the rewire.
As the OP stated it's my personal preference, not code.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,513 Posts
No, it's just a statement, do what you want with it.
Why would the commercial device box volume be any different than a residential device box volume if they are the same size?
After my house flooded from hurricane Harvey, I rewired the house and pig tailed every receptacle.
I personally have found the tab burnt off two receptacles in my house, prior to the rewire.
As the OP stated it's my personal preference, not code.
The tab does not just burn off, it’s the connection to the tab that fails. No way a 14 or 12 awg conductor can carry more current than the metal tab can.

The same can be said about a bad or lose connection in a wire nut. Is it the bad wire nut or was it the connection?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts