Electrician Talk banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Back to the OP post, what many members forget.
I have not seen every incident of electrical failures and neither has anyone else.
We all have our own experiences.
Just trying to relay those experiences.
If any of you residential hands would like to know how to trouble shoot the problem , let me know.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
I've worked on several houses where I have found the tab between the terminal screws to have burnt off.
The entire load on the circuit is passing through that tab which, if you ask me, looks like it has no where near the cross sectional area of say a #12 wire.
When I was doing commercial work we always pig tailed the receptacle.
Your experience is still anecdotal regardless of how many times you saw burn damage at or near that tab and mistakenly concluded the tab can't carry a full 20a circuit. You pigtail receptacles because of the tab - yet the pigtail connects to only the top or bottom part of the receptacle. What happens when a load on the other 1/2 is the maximum of the circuit?

In short... if receptacle tabs can't handle the full 20 amps, then every house in America and Canada would have the 1st receptacle in every circuit fail and replaced in short order and it would be a common, constant thing regardless of whether the stab or screw method of wiring is used.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,948 Posts
I wonder which would burn up first, a #12 or the tab?

Now look at what you jokers have went and done......this will eat at me until I actually test it........lol.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've worked on several houses where I have found the tab between the terminal screws to have burnt off.
The entire load on the circuit is passing through that tab which, if you ask me, looks like it has no where near the cross sectional area of say a #12 wire.
When I was doing commercial work we always pig tailed the receptacle.
Were the receptacles in the kitchen?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well perhaps you are correct.
I didn't investigate the "root cause".
But I did find the tab burned off and replaced the receptacle.
And made some money on service calls.

Were the receptacles in the kitchen?
In my house one was in the bedroom the other was in the hallway.
I never did find one in a kitchen.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,810 Posts
Reactions: brian john

·
Registered
31,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Voodoo ”code”, sometimes it is coworkers, sometimes it is building inspectors. It is real and a hassle if not kind of a problem.
I love the who-doo voodoo of grounding, To many electricians and engineers let system grounding baffle them. And to listen to members of our profession debate the importance of a Triad Ground perfectly laid out in a true equilateral triangle makes me gag. .

·
neutral member
ELECTRICIAN!!!
1,875 Posts
There are things that should be code, according to some of us that have been around awhile, that are not code.
My for instance is the wires gong to a receptacle should be pig tailed off the circuit passing through the box, instead of using the receptacle to pass the circuit through the box.
The little tab between the screws burnes apart and anything down stream does not work.
But, I guess, if the receptacles were pig tailed many of us would not be making good money simply replacing a receptacle.
Thanks for confirming what Brian said

·
Registered
12 Posts
Years back the Canadian code mandated the identified circuit conductor (neutral, eh) had to be pig-tailed to maintain the return path to the panel. Maybe it was slipped into the Ontario code? Anyway, it didn't last many months before it was rescinded.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,406 Posts
Years back the Canadian code mandated the identified circuit conductor (neutral, eh) had to be pig-tailed to maintain the return path to the panel. Maybe it was slipped into the Ontario code? Anyway, it didn't last many months before it was rescinded.
We still have the requirement in the NEC. It’s been there as long as I can remember. Unfortunately the NEC has also been requiring handle ties or multi-pole breakers on multiwire branch circuits.

300.13 Mechanical and Electrical Continuity — Conductors.

(B)Device Removal.

In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,513 Posts
?????

That was never in the Canadian code or the Ontario code.

It is mandated that it has to be done only for a multi-wire circuit and still is.(same as NEC)

Maybe you are thinking of that? 4-030(4)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts