Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what you guys are using for everyday "throw away" stuff. Recently got myself a t6-600 and even more recently had it stolen (or possibly left behind tough to say haha) anyway wanted to replace it but it looks like price has skyrocketed and availability is low so I opted for a t5-600 that I found for ~$110 but want to have a cheap (would help if it was compact enough that I could keep it in my pouch) throw away that is decent enough to preform basic voltage/continuity but not so decent that I care if I forget it on a cieling tile or if it gets jacked by some sly fox (swiper no swiping). Anyway just looked to see if y'all have any suggestions.
-Shocka Brah 馃馃

Registered
Wondering what you guys are using for everyday "throw away" stuff. Recently got myself a t6-600 and even more recently had it stolen (or possibly left behind tough to say haha) anyway wanted to replace it but it looks like price has skyrocketed and availability is low so I opted for a t5-600 that I found for ~$110 but want to have a cheap (would help if it was compact enough that I could keep it in my pouch) throw away that is decent enough to preform basic voltage/continuity but not so decent that I care if I forget it on a cieling tile or if it gets jacked by some sly fox (swiper no swiping). Anyway just looked to see if y'all have any suggestions.
-Shocka Brah 馃馃
Not sure if Northern Tool or Harbor Fright but for a out $15.00 they got a decent mini amprobe w digital readoutand all the basic functions. Takes 3 button batteries though, and no auto shutoff.
Ink

Registered
Electrical Contractor
Out of all the hand tools in my arsenal I consider a multimeter to be one of the most important, and the last place you should scrimp. Buy quality, treat it as such and it should last you a lifetime. Buy junk, treat it as such and you will buy it again and again.

I have a Fluke 87 that I bought in 1988. It goes everywhere with me and I assume it will last me the rest of my career and beyond. I've only sent it out for a calibration checkup twice spread out over all that time. I trust it like no other tool I own.

Edit: spelling

Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
My everyday meter is a Micronta (Radio Shack) 22-191. I got it sometime in the late 70s - early 80s. For basic testing, it does exactly what I want, I don't use it on 480 though........

My more featured one is a Hewlett-Packard 973A. I got it in the mid - late 80s. It was one of the first to have a dual display, handy for generator work. I have no problem using it on 480.

Registered
I've been using a Fluke T5-1000 for the last 7 years. Thought about switching to a t6, but it was just too bulky to fit in the back pocket. Nothing else out there that really compares in terms of compactness and safety. I have seen a t5-600 survive testing 4160, no smoke, no explosion, still working besides needing a fuse.

Registered
Power distribution and controls
Micromind you know the Micronta is probably not CAT rated. Heck mine does not even have a fuse. I have one on my bench and gently take it out of the hands of anyone that picks it up to use. I have seen the Micronta explode on 480. The holder of the meter it got second degree burns. Good reason to be wearing PPE and leather gloves,

I came from a group that preached "if you can not measure it you can not manage it." So my meters are all Fluke, 87III, 787, 924, 123. Gave my 73 away to a friend after I showed him how to use it safely. I also have a ground tester, do not use it much but I have put it up against the best of the best on an equal testing. We charted the numbers from all of the machines and mine was still working at the end of the 4 day of test. 2 of the high dollar ones were not. Always with in 2-3 ohms. They laughed at me until I compared the machines to taking blood pressures. I have never had anyone challenge my ground reports.

I have canvas bags for my meters, fits the probes I carry and the leads. I used to have cheap tools but have spent to much time where accuracy was important. Not that the lesser cost meters are that much less accurate than what I use. I was making great money at the time I bought all of what I have. The 924 and the 123 were both purchased from poeple who needed money more than those tools. 924 is a process meter, source and read 4-20 and 0-10v. It is rated for 50v so not something you let very many people pic it up. For fear they would try to measure an outlet.

Estwing magic
Out of all the hand tools in my arsenal I consider a multimeter to be one of the most important, and the last place you should scrimp. Buy quality, treat it as such and it should last you a lifetime. Buy junk, treat it as such and you will buy it again and again.

I have a Fluke 88 that I bought in 1988. It goes everywhere with me and I assume it will last me the rest of my career and beyond. I've only sent it out for a calibration checkup twice spread out over all that time. I trust it like no other tool I own.
I agree and disagree since it depends on the kind of work you鈥檙e doing. I use a meter mostly to ring out cold circuits. On rare occasions I test voltage and my cheap meter is Lo-Z. I almost never test current. My Ideal is fine for that.

You鈥檙e methodical, intelligent and well organized. I am not. There鈥檚 a place in my life for cheap and dirty. 馃ぃ

Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
My Fluke T+ stays in my old pouch and clips to my bag belt when needed, and I have my Fluke 377 clamp on when needed. I keep my Fluke 1587 FC meter in a canvas bag.

Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
Micromind you know the Micronta is probably not CAT rated. Heck mine does not even have a fuse. I have one on my bench and gently take it out of the hands of anyone that picks it up to use. I have seen the Micronta explode on 480. The holder of the meter it got second degree burns. Good reason to be wearing PPE and leather gloves,
I doubt if they even had the category ratings back then.

It has a fuse but it's a 5X20MM type rated at 250 volts. That's why I don't use it on 480. If anything went wrong, that fuse would explode but at 240, it'd just blow with no ill effects.

The HP has a 13/32X 1 1/2" fuse rated at 600 volts. I have no problem using that one on 480. I'm not sure but I believe it's cat 2, maybe 3.

Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician

As soon as my rich uncle gets out of the poorhouse I鈥檓 getting a digital Simpson.

Rumor is that splatz uses one of these.
:whistle:

Registered

As soon as my rich uncle gets out of the poorhouse I鈥檓 getting a digital Simpson.

here is that amazon one. Cem instruments, never heard of them

Estwing magic

Rumour has it that splatz uses Wera pliers too.

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
My everyday meter is a Micronta (Radio Shack) 22-191. I got it sometime in the late 70s - early 80s. For basic testing, it does exactly what I want, I don't use it on 480 though........
I'm surprised you're still alive Micro !!

You need to put that thing in series with an Arc Fault breaker .... Never get an Arch Ark ever 馃槀

Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
I've only sent it out for a calibration checkup twice spread out over all that time.
Did they have to recalibrate or was it within acceptable limits? Curious.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts