Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
I have 3 cheap Greenlee amp clamp meters. I've had them for over 20 years now, and they just work fine. There is always at least one in my carry for 120-240

When I was at the plant, higher voltages and ALWAYS fluke, and PPE depending on the voltage and what I was doing.

Obviously lots of other meters, DC amp clamp, low current DC clamp, couple of multimeters, toners, scope, megger etc ...

Registered
Electrical Contractor
Way back when I put on a pair of rubber gloves and clamped an old Amprobe digital with an LED display (can't remember model) onto 6.9kV primary for a small (75KVA) padmount transformer, overhead wire feed. I could tell the meter didn't really care fore it by the vibrations. Anybody know for certain that was a bad idea?

Registered
My go-to meter is a Fluke 87. But in some of my various job boxes I have some Amprobe 34XR and 37XRs that aren't bad.

Amprobe used to make meters that can simulate 4-20 mA but I don't see they sell those any more...馃イ Those were pretty good too.

Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
I'm surprised you're still alive Micro !!

You need to put that thing in series with an Arc Fault breaker .... Never get an Arch Ark ever 馃槀
Quite honestly, I am too!

This meter has a 300ma 250 volt fuse in series with the + probe jack. I don't know what the AIC rating of it is but I suspect it's pretty high. If anything goes wrong inside it, it'll blow the fuse and not the whole meter and/or my hand.........

I don't use it on anything higher than 240 and almost always it's continuity or 24DC. Anything 120AC or higher, I usually use my solenoid wiggy.

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
Quite honestly, I am too!

This meter has a 300ma 250 volt fuse in series with the + probe jack. I don't know what the AIC rating of it is but I suspect it's pretty high. If anything goes wrong inside it, it'll blow the fuse and not the whole meter and/or my hand.........

I don't use it on anything higher than 240 and almost always it's continuity or 24DC. Anything 120AC or higher, I usually use my solenoid wiggy.
I have an old Micronta in my shop too. I still use it when I want the 'needle action' to see what's going on.
I'll try to get a pic of it here tomorrow.

Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
The old sixties style plastic amber test light with 2 three inch leads coming out of the bottom...............

Hackenschmidt

As soon as my rich uncle gets out of the poorhouse I鈥檓 getting a digital Simpson.

Rumor is that splatz uses one of these.
:whistle:
Sadly, the digital Simpson is not made in USA like other Simpson products, I forget whether it's China or Taiwan. My next meter - tester purchase will probably be a Hioki, made in Japan, getting good reviews, decent prices.

Hackenschmidt
A meter is the dead last thing I'd go with a Chinesium Harbor Freight tool. A junk meter will have you chasing your tail at best, and at worst can be dangerously unsafe.

If you're just using it as a tester, a solenoid tester like the Knopp is hard to beat and fits easily in a pocket or pouch. I prefer to have at least a continuity tester as well, so I use the Etcon VT-54 solenoid tester, it has continuity test as well, cheaper than the Knopp, also made in USA, and durable, but it's quite a bit bigger.

Now most of the time I want to be able to measure low voltages, 12VDC - 48VDC and often want to see the actual number for voltage, so I use the Fluke T+ Pro. It's low Z, tests continuity, voltage, ohms, rotation, GFCIs, it has a little LED light, it's excellent. Fluke isn't the company they used to be so buy one now before they all suck.

The T6 has a current fork, which is handy, but it's not low z, which is a dealbreaker for me. It's not cheap. I suspect Fluke has ruined or is in the process of ruining the T6. Most of the time when I am measuring current I want something better and a min/max/average and hopefully something fast enough to capture inrush. I often want to check voltage at the same time, so a second meter is what makes sense. I don't measure current nearly as much as I test for voltage or measure voltage, so it's fine if I have to run to the truck for it. I have an old Amprobe that measures AC and DC current but it's still working well. When the time comes, I'm planning to replace it with a Hioki, made in Japan, the only practical meter brand I've found that's not made in China or Taiwan.

Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
Sadly, the digital Simpson is not made in USA like other Simpson products, I forget whether it's China or Taiwan. next My meter - tester purchase will probably be a Hioki, made in Japan, getting good reviews, decent prices.
So the Simpson is likely a rebranded existing model made by a foreign entity with dubious at best intentions.

Quite sad as I hoped for a quality digital meter made domestically, even if it was expensive.

:(

Registered
I only use Fluke meters since we can have them calibrated every so often and I primarily deal with I&C. So 117, 789, and 725 are the ones I use.

Reactions: splatz

Can't Remember
I have a Fluke 28 for all weather use and generators. Another 187 I left in someone鈥檚 basement that I have to go back to. I have a wireless Fluke clamp that works well but the batteries are always dead. My Knopp tester gets used the most. Oh yes, and a Megger multimeter/megger.

Estwing magic
I have a Fluke 28 for all weather use and generators. Another 187 I left in someone鈥檚 basement that I have to go back to. I have a wireless Fluke clamp that works well but the batteries are always dead. My Knopp tester gets used the most. Oh yes, and a Megger multimeter/megger.
I left an expensive Fluke in a basement and, when I returned to get it, the customer said, 鈥淣ope, not here.鈥 Bastid.

With my bad eyesight, I鈥檓 not buying black tools anymore and looking to replace the case for my Fluke (or maybe tie a pink ribbon to it).

Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
[
After having a meter blow up in my hands on 480 volts many years ago, fluke and only fluke and a good quality one.
I trust my life to my meter money means nothing compared to that.
So your saying you won鈥檛 trust mine?
It鈥檚 a Triplet.
Pliers Gadget Gas Technology Electronic device

Banned
A meter is the dead last thing I'd go with a Chinesium Harbor Freight tool. A junk meter will have you chasing your tail at best, and at worst can be dangerously unsafe.

Good enough for measuring current though.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts