Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
2,028 Posts
My everyday meter is a Micronta (Radio Shack) 22-191. I got it sometime in the late 70s - early 80s. For basic testing, it does exactly what I want, I don't use it on 480 though........

My more featured one is a Hewlett-Packard 973A. I got it in the mid - late 80s. It was one of the first to have a dual display, handy for generator work. I have no problem using it on 480.
I had a Sperry Snap 6 that I beat to death for 20 years... Alas, it finally died and I went to a Fluke 324.

·
Banned
12,464 Posts
I carried a Sperry Snap 6 forever... and have an ancient (And huge) old Sperry SP-170 on the shop bench.
I just wanna smell it - like the first new mimeographed ditto on the 1st day back to school!

My 1st 2 were both analog... needles on scales. Turn the thumb wheel to get different features/scales/

·
Registered
341 Posts
At the moment I've been using a Klein clamp meter hat the boss had in the van. It works well enough for the service work I do. I don't think I'd ever buy one.
My personal meter is an old fluke 177 that a crackhead Tennant left behind in one of my parents' rentals. Worked perfect. Score!
I let a 3rd year apprentice use it a couple years ago and it has not worked right since. Found some info online about calibration and testing the MOVs.. one day.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
2,028 Posts
Speak for yourself, croan! Or is it crone???
crone

krōn
noun
  1. An old woman considered to be ugly; a hag.
  2. A woman who is venerated for experience, judgment, and wisdom.
  3. A feeble and withered old woman: used depreciatively, and sometimes applied, with increased contempt, to a man.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
2,028 Posts
crone

krōn
noun
  1. An old woman considered to be ugly; a hag.
  2. A woman who is venerated for experience, judgment, and wisdom.
  3. A feeble and withered old woman: used depreciatively, and sometimes applied, with increased contempt, to a man.
Hmmm... I guess these days it would be acceptable for me to identify as an old woman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wondering what you guys are using for everyday "throw away" stuff. Recently got myself a t6-600 and even more recently had it stolen (or possibly left behind tough to say haha) anyway wanted to replace it but it looks like price has skyrocketed and availability is low so I opted for a t5-600 that I found for ~$110 but want to have a cheap (would help if it was compact enough that I could keep it in my pouch) throw away that is decent enough to preform basic voltage/continuity but not so decent that I care if I forget it on a cieling tile or if it gets jacked by some sly fox (swiper no swiping). Anyway just looked to see if y'all have any suggestions.
-Shocka Brah 🤙🤙
Don't buy throw away meters. Your life depends on having reliable meters. I use Fluke 787 as I do a lot of instrumentation and calibrating. It is also very good with AC and DC. They are spendy but , it will last you a long time.

·
Banned
12,464 Posts
Don't buy throw away meters. Your life depends on having reliable meters. I use Fluke 787 as I do a lot of instrumentation and calibrating. It is also very good with AC and DC. They are spendy but , it will last you a long time.
True, it can be costly being cheap... but there's a place for the junk I bought on the spur of the moment, and I just couldnt believe that just before Christmas Harbor Fright had those dinky ones for less than 14.00. And they's no more or less accurate than the Home Depot model. Just no auto shutoff so...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use a Klein CL700. First one I carried for 5 years until I dropped it, it landed on the bottom, and split the banana plug connectors. Unfortunately, they are a part of the PCB, so I wasn't able to replace them. Like, mechanically a part of the PCB, not just soldered on. So last year I bought a new one. Carried it for a year. It walked off on a job site recently. So I got another one. They tend to be on sale for about 85-100 towards the end of the year. The probes kind of suck, so I usually put fluke probes on them. But whoever ended up with this last one got my fluke probes too. So it's whatever. Plus you can get the magnet for like $15, which is super nice. It comes with a case and everything, too.

It's tough and reliable enough that I'm happy with it, it's always accurate when I compare it to my fluke 115, and it's cheap enough that I don't get too mad if it disappears.

·
Registered
Electrician
2,385 Posts
I really like my amprobe
  • ACD-51NAV
Much more bang for the buck compared to Fluke (yes I know fluke and Amprobe are now the same company). It has a crazy amount of features, and it is safe. Not as simple as a fluke for an apprentice but has great additional features compared to a similarly priced fluke.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts