Electrician Talk banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wondering what you guys are using for everyday "throw away" stuff. Recently got myself a t6-600 and even more recently had it stolen (or possibly left behind tough to say haha) anyway wanted to replace it but it looks like price has skyrocketed and availability is low so I opted for a t5-600 that I found for ~$110 but want to have a cheap (would help if it was compact enough that I could keep it in my pouch) throw away that is decent enough to preform basic voltage/continuity but not so decent that I care if I forget it on a cieling tile or if it gets jacked by some sly fox (swiper no swiping). Anyway just looked to see if y'all have any suggestions.
-Shocka Brah 🤙🤙
I have been using a mini volcon by ideal for close to 40 years now. I don’t know what I will do when it breaks or gets lost

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
2,100 Posts
For the last 20 years I’ve been using a Greenlee amp clamp. The amp clamp pulls off and leaves you with a pen style DMM. It’s pretty compact this way. You can shove it in your apron when chasing down fire alarm shorts.

I like that it has the full ohms scale. Why the most expensive ones don’t is beyond me. I guess they want you to buy their whole line up of testers?

What I didn’t like so much, was that amps was measured as volts, and you have to move the decimal. So .03v is really 3 amps IIRC.

I got nostalgic a few months ago and put my old amprobe back in the rotation. So now in my Veto TP-XL every day cary is the amprobe, Knop, T+Pro, and Fluke glow stick. I think I bought the Amprobe in 86. My other large purchase at the time was the Greenlee hand knock out set in the tapered leather holder
. Camera lens Reflex camera Digital camera Audio equipment Single-lens reflex camera

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
3,586 Posts
For the last 20 years I’ve been using a Greenlee amp clamp. The amp clamp pulls off and leaves you with a pen style DMM. It’s pretty compact this way. You can shove it in your apron when chasing down fire alarm shorts.

I like that it has the full ohms scale. Why the most expensive ones don’t is beyond me. I guess they want you to buy their whole line up of testers?

What I didn’t like so much, was that amps was measured as volts, and you have to move the decimal. So .03v is really 3 amps IIRC.

I got nostalgic a few months ago and put my old amprobe back in the rotation. So now in my Veto TP-XL every day cary is the amprobe, Knop, T+Pro, and Fluke glow stick. I think I bought the Amprobe in 86. My other large purchase at the time was the Greenlee hand knock out set in the tapered leather holder
. View attachment 169019
Does it have a ohms and voltage scale also like the Sperry Snaps?

61 - 65 of 65 Posts