Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not employed yet. senior in highschool taking electrical construction courses. want to know which osha course i should be taking to be a step ahead. could someone possibly drop a link to the right one?

·
Super Moderator
7,517 Posts
What kind of electrical work are you interested in?

·
Registered
589 Posts
In my experience, employers usually put on their own training (or use one approved training contractor) and outside training often isn't approved/recognized. The exception has been first aid - that's portable.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,012 Posts
You'd want the OSHA 10-hour construction safety course, that's the entry level safety certification for construction. The OSHA 30-hour course is more geared towards supervisors. Offered by many many companies online, here's one running a special for $54

·
Registered
IBEW 6 volts to lightning bolts
1,138 Posts
If you are in NYC then all workers in the trades need OSHA 30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,884 Posts
If you are in NYC then all workers in the trades need OSHA 30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And in a week after the OSHA 30, how many workers remember 10% of what they were taught?

I have taken both and IMO 10 is a better option to start a week after the 90% they forget will be less than that from the OSHA 30.
BUT there is more money for the trainers in the OSHA 30.

·
Registered
468 Posts
In my experience, employers usually put on their own training (or use one approved training contractor) and outside training often isn't approved/recognized. The exception has been first aid - that's portable.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
And in a week after the OSHA 30, how many workers remember 10% of what they were taught?

I have taken both and IMO 10 is a better option to start a week after the 90% they forget will be less that from the OSHA 30.
Mandatory OSHA30, 8 HR fall protection and scaffolding, 2 HR substance abuse, 3 HR sexual harassment (done every year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,884 Posts
Mandatory OSHA30, 8 HR fall protection and scaffolding, 2 HR substance abuse, 3 HR sexual harassment (done every year).

Most electricians have little NEC knowledge they retain. In my experience you retain what you need too and use on a daily basis, all the rest goes out the window.

Who requires Sexual harassment and drug abuse training? The state or the IBEW. I was told the biggest advantage for this type of training is it does give some insight to employees it also protects the employer as they can state, he had sexual harassment training. So when someone is fired for shaking his Johnson at another employee or the other employees sues, the employer has some fallback covering their butt.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Most electricians have little NEC knowledge they retain. In my experience you retain what you need too and use on a daily basis, all the rest goes out the window.

Who requires Sexual harassment and drug abuse training? The state or the IBEW. I was told the biggest advantage for this type of training is it does give some insight to employees it also protects the employer as they can state, he had sexual harassment training. So when someone is fired for shaking his Johnson at another employee or the other employees sues, the employer has some fallback covering their butt.
NYC

·
Premium Member
19,545 Posts
Not employed yet. senior in highschool taking electrical construction courses. want to know which osha course i should be taking to be a step ahead. could someone possibly drop a link to the right one?
Take the OSHA 30 for construction.
One of my apprentices realized he could shut down an entire job, gained the respect of the GCs superintendent, it was kind of an interesting job after that, for the better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of electrical work are you interested in?
right now still deciding, but leaning more towards utility because of the pay and its higher than other fields ive looked at in electrical and kinda planning to start a family in my mid 20's (not to get to personal) so i just feel i need that higher wage.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,781 Posts
We joked about the NY State required sexual harassment training even if we have no employees and work alone. Then someone pointed out it has multiple applications. In this day and age we could be working in an office or even a private residence and say something to the homeowner that we truly believe is innocent only to find the PC police at our door.
Several years ago I got a talking to from my supervisor. There was a woman who had a nice smelling perfume on. I complimented her and asked what brand it was. I wanted to get some for my wife. Why do people wear perfume?? Now I don't talk with anybody. Imagine people from 50 years ago time traveling to today. The things we said and done back then without realizing how racist or sensitive we were.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,464 Posts

I have taken both and IMO 10 is a better option to start a week after the 90% they forget will be less than that from the OSHA 30.
I took my OSHA 30 quite a few years ago, the only thing I remember about it was at the end, in order to fill the full 30 hours, they showed a bunch of videos of a rock quarry blasting the side of a mountain.

That was COOL!!!!

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,464 Posts
In Nevada, every construction job, no matter what size, is required to have at least one person who has had OSHA 30. It doesn't matter which trade.

Every employee has to have at least an OSHA 10.

As far as I know, there's no updates or recurring training, once you have it, it's forever......well, almost......if you lose your card, you must take the course over, they will not issue a replacement card.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Out here in CA a lot of companies will pay for the OSHA 10 for you since they say it’s “required” or whatever but I know a ton of people who don’t have their OSHA 10 or didn’t complete it. OSHA 30 looks good on the resume depending on the company though.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,781 Posts
Be careful with any online courses. Some OSHA 10 or 30 courses contradict what is in the real world or their subject matter expert is not versed in the construction trades.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,456 Posts
Be careful with any online courses. Some OSHA 10 or 30 courses contradict what is in the real world or their subject matter expert is not versed in the construction trades.
Why does it even matter? OSHA 10 and 30 are purely check boxes for the sites that require them. Anyone thinking that anyone is learning anything from these courses is an idiot. Walk onto any construction site and tell me that anyone there learned anything from OSHA 10. As far as PPE goes that they make a big deal out of, even Bob the Builder (cartoon for the under 6 crowd) wore all the regular required PPE except safety glasses. And OSHA 30 is basically the same as OSHA 10 except that they spend far more time going over exactly the same things as OSHA 10, and then they add things like making sure you know how to fill out an OSHA 300 log. NYC is nuts...there is ZERO in OSHA 30 that the average worker needs. Sure foremen need to know some of it, SOMETIMES. Even in my huge crew of about 7 head, we don't know or care to know anything about OSHA 300 logs. We have an HR person for that. We just fill out the accident report and she puts it in the log.

Every "big" site automatically requires a 20 to 60 (sometimes 120) minute site specific class. On rare and very bureaucratic occasions it might be an actual "class". Usually it's a Powerpoint with a bunch of ridiculous questions about very specific things that are not highlighted in the Powerpoint and very obscure such as the plant speed limit. 99% of the content of these things is pure speed reading OSHA 10. About the only major differences are the location of the designated smoking areas and bathrooms, and the plant speed limits. The problem is this. The OSHA 10 stuff in there is useless. If you come on the site and you don't know how to use a ladder before you come on site, or aren't closely supervised as an apprentice, you shouldn't be there. 99.9% of the content is the same and it's the same thing you should have already trained on before you started on the job site. The rest of it is crazy stuff. Things like plant speed limits that are different for every plant and instead of being something practical like drive an appropriate speed for conditions (the country rule), they put an insanely low speed in there that nobody, especially the fork truck drivers, ever follows. Their quizzes always have stupid questions like how many designated smoking areas are on the site. PLUS I'm a service contractor. I go through dozens of these things a year, typically every year for the same sites. Can you imagine trying to memorize 10 different speed limits for 20 different sites? It's impossible.

Plus lets not forget the fact that all the electrical rules are written by someone who has absolutely no clue about electrical safety at all.

Another one that was popular a few years ago and still is, is "BPA Plus" or something like that. It's a scam put out by these "safety councils".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts