Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to do sort of a poll, and get some opinions.

What percent of the time are you working while injured, or working through pain (especially worsening pain)?

Do you think its normal and expected to work through pain/injury? Such as sprains, torn ligaments, tendonitis/tendonosis?

·
Registered
337 Posts
climber said:
Just looking to do sort of a poll, and get some opinions. What percent of the time are you working while injured, or working through pain (especially worsening pain)? Do you think its normal and expected to work through pain/injury? Such as sprains, torn ligaments, tendonitis/tendonosis?
Im a one man shop so no work no pay. Worked with a scratched cornea last month. Not very easy to do.

·
39 Posts
One man shop here too. Tore a calve muscle about 2 years ago. Couldn't hardly walk for about 3 weeks. I was limping so bad that it had my back out of place and made it start hurting bad. I didn't miss a day of work, but man was I slow. To this day it looks like I have 2 calve muscles on one leg. Only thing my customers would say is, man that looks like that hurts, but anyway, when are you going to be done with this job.

·
Kind of a big deal here
923 Posts
I work through aches and pains every single day. Some days are damn near brutal to reach over my head. Other days I can't drive in the van for more than 30 minutes before my back starts to seize up. I cannot financially afford to be out of work, even disability. We had one guy go out for shoulder surgery, and 8months later he's back to work, but his financials are a mess. Sad but true, work through the pain, it only gets worse.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
One man shop here too. Tore a calve muscle about 2 years ago. Couldn't hardly walk for about 3 weeks. I was limping so bad that it had my back out of place and made it start hurting bad. I didn't miss a day of work, but man was I slow. To this day it looks like I have 2 calve muscles on one leg. Only thing my customers would say is, man that looks like that hurts, but anyway, when are you going to be done with this job.
Tomorrow after a really long lunch, but it could take longer...:whistling2:

:laughing:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
HARRY304E said:
Tomorrow after a really long lunch, but it could take longer...:whistling2: :laughing:
I hear ya, even the guy who cleans the porta john wouldn't go in after I was finished 'changing a fuse'.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,870 Posts
Just looking to do sort of a poll, and get some opinions.

What percent of the time are you working while injured, or working through pain (especially worsening pain)?

Do you think its normal and expected to work through pain/injury? Such as sprains, torn ligaments, tendonitis/tendonosis?
With or without medication?

With... 10 to 20%
Without ...100%

Reactions: glen1971

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I hurt my back seriously @ age 30 but after a while, it became manageable and was only an on/off thing. It would come back and kick my ass for a few days every year.

Recently I realized that, since I was 47 years old (15 years ago), the various ailments (joint/muscle pain) have been non stop.

If you work for yourself, you learn to suck it up.

Have a plan, youngsters. Today at only 62, there is no way I can work a full day in construction. The body is simply spent.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Two man shop gotta work or to make money!

I play in a football league on sundays. So I usually work in pain mon and sometimes tues.

Few months ago worked through a torn bicep.

Last year I tore my MCL in a basketball league. Luckily I had just started a high ceiling industrial and was using a lift. Rocked my crutches to the lift and had put a chair on it and worked for like a week and a half like that till I could hobble around.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Ive torn lots of muscles and broken lots of bones. Years ago I tore my calve muscle in football and that is by far the worst one in my book. Mine looks like that too!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I work through aches and pains every single day. Some days are damn near brutal to reach over my head. Other days I can't drive in the van for more than 30 minutes before my back starts to seize up. I cannot financially afford to be out of work, even disability. We had one guy go out for shoulder surgery, and 8months later he's back to work, but his financials are a mess. Sad but true, work through the pain, it only gets worse.
How is that going to work out for you when you can't work at all from the pain? Get yourself taken care of...

·
507 Posts
MisterCMK said:
How is that going to work out for you when you can't work at all from the pain? Get yourself taken care of...
I'm thinking that when I read pretty much every post in this thread. I don't plan on being an invalid at 50

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
Pain is nothing, work with it, man up to the fact we are all in pain. Deal with it, you are grown up now and will be in pain for the rest of your days.

too bad this is completely true. Dont worry though, all the pain will go away when you die. :brows:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I work smart so that I rarely if ever injure myself...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts