Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is interested in applying for an apprenticeship in a union program (my brother was a union electrician and my father was in the Carpenters Union and ran apprenticeship programs). Lots of useful information on this forum but I still have a few questions.

Where to do the apprenticeship? It seems like most union work is on the west coast, the northeast, and across the northern tier. Should he try to do the apprenticeship in one of those states, or is Florida just as good? We are in Florida but thinking about moving to the state of Washington, anyhow.

How about supervised hours required to make journeyman? I read a thread about this but lost track of it. The gist of it seemed to be that hours in one state don't necessarily count in another state. There was a link to a really nice map of states that recognize each other's hours (California, Oregon, Washington, New Jersey, New York, Michigan as I recall). Does anyone have a link to that map? Do hours worked as an apprentice count?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apprenticeship

Thank you for the tips. When my brother was alive and still working as an electrician he mainly worked up north, returning to Florida when he was out of work. When I was growing up in Miami, unions were very strong. That has certainly changed. Again, thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.