Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,330 Posts
I see those rants on CL from time to time. Problem is the people looking to hire "contractors" off CL most likely don't care as they want a cheap price!
If they were concerned about licenses and insurance they would be looking in the yellow pages.
Keep in mind that most people hiring off CL are bottom feeders themselves

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
Craigslist, for the most part, is a waste of time.

If you want to sell your lawn mower for $50.. or hook up for a 1 night stand, its a good place to go.. thats about it.

~Matt

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Craigslist, for the most part, is a waste of time.

If you want to sell your lawn mower for $50.. or hook up for a 1 night stand, its a good place to go.. thats about it.

~Matt

I beg to differ. I advertise on CL all the time and have gotten some pretty nice jobs from it. Fact is, I just finished a Dollar Tree store.

Yeah, nothing earth-shattering to write home about, but a strip-mall build out of a vanilla shell from Craigslist?

I've also gotten service change-outs, a couple remodels/basement finishes, and hooked up with a house flipper. Not too shabby for free advertising.

I think I'll take my money and go buy a night stand now.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Must you have workmen's comp if you have no other employees (other than yourself)?

If you're a one man shop out of your garage and SUV, other than bonding, what extra cost does having a license entail? Why could an unlicensed contractor in FL do it for $16/hr but not a licensed contractor?

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Must you have workmen's comp if you have no other employees (other than yourself)?

If you're a one man shop out of your garage and SUV, other than bonding, what extra cost does having a license entail? Why could an unlicensed contractor in FL do it for $16/hr but not a licensed contractor?
I think that many states do no require the owner to have comp on himself, but you can certainly buy it if you want to. Other than your general liability insurance to keep your license valid, and sometimes professional licensing insurance (a bond that costs about 50 bucks, often times), there's not much. One might hope you'd have commercial insurance on your truck and didn't have it on your personal policy like a commuter vehicle.

·
Senior Moment
1,131 Posts
I know most states don't have the money or manpower to enforce their contracting laws which sad for the business owners and the consumers. In the early 80's in California I advertised in the California Shopper and Pennysaver. You are also required to have your license # displayed in ads, and I didn't at one time. So I get a call for a small job and as details and are talked about the customer request my license #, after I gave it to her she stated that she is an enforcement officer with the CSLB. She went on to state that a review of the license and check for complaints would be made and if the board determined I would be notified if a charge against me would be made. Fortunately nothing ever came from this. As far as WC goes if an unlicensed person works at your home or business it is my understanding that if that person gets hurt while working on your property your responsible and liable in a lawsuit.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I know most states don't have the money or manpower to enforce their contracting laws which sad for the business owners and the consumers. In the early 80's in California I advertised in the California Shopper and Pennysaver. You are also required to have your license # displayed in ads, and I didn't at one time. So I get a call for a small job and as details and are talked about the customer request my license #, after I gave it to her she stated that she is an enforcement officer with the CSLB. She went on to state that a review of the license and check for complaints would be made and if the board determined I would be notified if a charge against me would be made. Fortunately nothing ever came from this. As far as WC goes if an unlicensed person works at your home or business it is my understanding that if that person gets hurt while working on your property your responsible and liable in a lawsuit.
that is true.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts