Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, first off thanks for taking the time to read my post. I do appreciate any help I receive on this. I work on interior remodeling/construction so I know my way around but because I am a renter, I'm a little on the fence about what I should do and liability reasons.

EVERY single outlet (Except for two, bathroom and kitchen) are the old style two prong, 3 set outlets. There is NO ground. (I have not checked bathroom/kitchen outlets but will wander into the basement after writing this and edit if I my worst fears are realized "K&T")

I already swapped out a few outlets thinking their may be an adapter or some sort of ground. Nope. Not happening. SO that leaves me with a few possibilities.

1. Call the inspector and force the landlord to update (If it's K&T I will probably just do this anyways. Even with a GFCI and adapters that wiring is crap and will overload before the GFCI even does it job.

2. Call landlord and have her pay a licensed electrician to fix this hell-hole. (But what electrician wants to mess with K&T?)

3. Call landlord and have her buy GFCI outlets (First outlet in every series swapped, etc etc.)

4. Just keep swapping the old ones for standard outlets and run an adapter and just ground it to the existing box.

5. Stop touching **** in the apartment. (Working in the construction field is bugs the living hell out of me and I have my own moral code to go by.) "If I am aware of the problem is now violates code and must be fixed" Which I strongly support.

Help? Ideas? Tips? Someone want to come take a look for me? :)

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,998 Posts
Hence why I am here. I would like a PROFESSIONAL ELECTRICIANS opinion and help with this problem on what I should do.
Not what this site is about, try the site listed there are licensed electricians there as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If it passed rental inspections then leave it alone. If you signed a lease and accepted it as is then leave it alone. If your not licensed then leave it alone.
It's one thing to endanger your life but to endanger others will get you into big trouble. If you alter the property in any way that your not licensed for and without the consent of the owner you could be sued by all the occupants.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Just hold your pants here .,,

the word Renter .,, this part you will have to talk to your landlord to see what they will do the repairs on rental units.,,

You the renter cant do any electrical work or other type of work without landlord aknowage.

Per state law I know most will say landlord will make the call on repair but if the inspector see any items that need to be fix there is few legal channels the landlord will have to deal. I dont have all the scope with me to fill it in here.

but basically that is between the renter and landlord to slove the issue.

Even thru the landlord may hire a electrician to come out and check the electrical system that is the only legit way to do it.

but any repairs or propsal it come up will have to be approved by landlord nothing else unless state inspector force the repair.

NOTE; I will close this thread for a good reason so please do not increase voltage in here .,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.