Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received a series of emails from this person stating he needs a whole house rewiring at a house he just bought, but he needs a favor from me first. He told me he has some outstanding fees for the former homeowner and because he is ill and in the hospital he can't give the money directly to the former house owner, who has the keys and won't give it to him unless the money comes through.
Basically, he needed to give $5000 to the ex homeowner and will give me $1000 for a deposit on the rewiring. So he sends me his credit card information, many of which did not go through, and finally got all the money together in our company account. After that I just sent a $5000 check to the supposed ex homeowner.
I kept asking about the job after that but no reply, and after a few days I get the same style of email, needs some big work on his new house but need to send money to whoever etc etc. That's when I realized I just unknowingly laundered money from stolen credit cards for this person.

Anyone else get this kind of requests? I'm thinking it's best to talk to a lawyer..

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
dude, don't let yourself get involved in BS like this. feet on the ground, meetings in person, etc etc. Live and learn, I guess, everyone does a boner now and then. might want to keep an idea on whatever account number you used to forward the money tho (or cancel it). there's a million scammers out there working 24/7 just to take you down. don't let em.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds like you just lost $5K. A new twist on an old scam.

Personally, I would have considered emails from someone who's ill and in the hospital to be very sketchy at best.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yep, unfortunately, you just lost $5000. Your check has already been cashed and the credit card charges will start being reversed any second now. Hard lesson learned.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,726 Posts
So I received a series of emails from this person stating he needs a whole house rewiring at a house he just bought, but he needs a favor from me first. He told me he has some outstanding fees for the former homeowner and because he is ill and in the hospital he can't give the money directly to the former house owner, who has the keys and won't give it to him unless the money comes through.
Basically, he needed to give $5000 to the ex homeowner and will give me $1000 for a deposit on the rewiring. So he sends me his credit card information, many of which did not go through, and finally got all the money together in our company account. After that I just sent a $5000 check to the supposed ex homeowner.
I kept asking about the job after that but no reply, and after a few days I get the same style of email, needs some big work on his new house but need to send money to whoever etc etc. That's when I realized I just unknowingly laundered money from stolen credit cards for this person.

Anyone else get this kind of requests? I'm thinking it's best to talk to a lawyer..
Call the police. Or your county D.A.

·
Registered
659 Posts
There was a thread a few months back. I can't find it. It was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

The "homeowner" who's name was "may" of some chit. He/she was in the hospital and wanted her home rewired. Same principle as this. And the ET member was emailing her back and forth messing with him/her.

If someone remembers it please post it.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
There was a thread a few months back. I can't find it. It was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

The "homeowner" who's name was "may" of some chit. He/she was in the hospital and wanted her home rewired. Same principle as this. And the ET member was emailing her back and forth messing with him/her.

If someone remembers it please post it.
Read post #6

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Why on earth do people fall for these? Read it and if it sounds like a little fishy ask someone else what they think before you send money.. Maybe take it to someone that is in a position of authority that might be able to do something about it, if it is a scam... Hmm.. Who could that be? Maybe the local police??

If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is...

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I recall years ago when the traveler check scam was going around. We had 6 sent to us , cashed them and kept the money. The bank still believes i owe them $3k. It's thier own fault for cashing them.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I used to get that type of Scam email all the time. I haven't gotten one for awhile. I did get a phone call recently from someone saying the were the IRS and that police were coming to my house if I didn't give them $3,500 by credit card. I read about these scams in the newspaper often but never fell for one.
Sorry to hear you fell for this. Have you called the Police?

·
Registered
Electrician
3,429 Posts
Troll!

No body can be that stupid on purpose!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts