Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am a second year 309A (Const. and Maint. electrician) apprentice in northern ontario. I had been out of college where I took a one year electrical program, for 6 years before stumbling on an employer looking for a millwright apprentice. With dumb luck they wanted to sign me for electrical. Finally :thumbup:! They promised me only doing electrical, and the potential to get my B.A. in electrical engineering. Man was this ever sounding good! So of course they got me hook line an sinker and for the past year I've been regretting my decision. Don't get me wrong I still want to continue my apprenticeship, just not there. I'm getting next to no exposure in the trade, in fact, i've learned more about machining, pnuematics, and hydraulics, than electrical:001_huh:. I'm all for being well rounded but when I'm paying my own way through school, I can't be falling behind and potentially failing school. Anyways, to my real point! I have successfully made the pre selection pool for the CUSW. Although there are a lot more lines jobs right now, I'm still hoping to be optimistic that other jobs will come up. But how long do I wait at my current job not learning? My wife and I have tossed around the idea of me possibly going west because the mining sector in Ontario isn't strong right now or I would consider that. I've also tried the IBEW Local 1687 an hour from where I live but haven't been successful. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am a second year 309A (Const. and Maint. electrician) apprentice in northern ontario. I had been out of college where I took a one year electrical program, for 6 years before stumbling on an employer looking for a millwright apprentice. With dumb luck they wanted to sign me for electrical. Finally :thumbup:! They promised me only doing electrical, and the potential to get my B.A. in electrical engineering. Man was this ever sounding good! So of course they got me hook line an sinker and for the past year I've been regretting my decision. Don't get me wrong I still want to continue my apprenticeship, just not there. I'm getting next to no exposure in the trade, in fact, i've learned more about machining, pnuematics, and hydraulics, than electrical:001_huh:. I'm all for being well rounded but when I'm paying my own way through school, I can't be falling behind and potentially failing school. Anyways, to my real point! I have successfully made the pre selection pool for the CUSW. Although there are a lot more lines jobs right now, I'm still hoping to be optimistic that other jobs will come up. But how long do I wait at my current job not learning? My wife and I have tossed around the idea of me possibly going west because the mining sector in Ontario isn't strong right now or I would consider that. I've also tried the IBEW Local 1687 an hour from where I live but haven't been successful. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Keep the job you have now until you land a good electrical job, Good luck and Welcome to the forum:thumbup:

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Take a little from every sparky you meet, but bow to none of them

~CS~
"Give them nothing... but take from them EVERYTHING!!!"

Sorry... just a little quote from the movie 300.

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely won't leave until I find something else. I'm just hoping that doesn't take another year to happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts