Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,715 Posts
I apologize, I thought I had better pictures.

I have a client with a submersible pump, deep well torpedo style. They had to replace some pipe and hose, while it is up we need to repair the splice joints. It's 10AWG pump cable to pump leads. Are the crimps just regular butt splices off the shelf pieces to be used with the heavy duty heat shrink or are there special kits specifically designed for this sort of application?

Manufacturer seems to suggest butt splices for smaller gauge wiring.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 168752
View attachment 168751
It is more about the heatshrink you put over it.
HD sells the same thing as below.
Crimping them tight is important if you don't have the proper crimper.
Shhhh don't tell anyone but I have been know to use a hammer and steel block on bare small butt splices.

Cowboy

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Electronic device

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,715 Posts
Either your well is super shallow, there are splices in the well below the water line, or the pump was ordered with the length of cable preinstalled. Off the shelf pumps generally only have a couple of feet of lead that you splice into close to the pump then run the cable up to the surface.
I have seen it where they cut the wires at the cap to yoyo the well to repair, this avoids pulling them out of the house. on a new well they drop the wires down hole then pull to the house. But almost always have waterproof splices down hole.
Vehicle Asphalt Automotive tire Engineering Sky

This is a small unit that pulls the cable, wire and black well pipe at one shot but well has to be disconnected. For shallow wells people pull them by hand and leave everything connected and just lay line on ground if they have room.

Reactions: CWL
1 - 2 of 2 Posts