Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was telling me that he knows a first year that is expected to supply her own drill, other power tools, drill bits and of course hand tools.. She works for an "industrial company"..

Am I missin something or have I been spoiled in not having to supply my own power tools?? I'll admit I do use my some of my own power tools from once in awhile - hammer drill, sawzall, grinder, etc.. Maybe two or three times a year.. But I make sure I am compensated for it - an extra hour when I do, plus bits or blades... Or am I screwin myself over by doing it?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
About the only 'power' tool an apprentice might be required to supply is a cordless drill.

Disposables like bits & blades should be supplied.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
So let me see...

I tell an apprentice to supply his own drill and bits. He goes to Walmart and buys the crap off the clearance shelf. Then he struggles all day using inferior products and gets FA done.

Or I supply the proper drill with nice sharp bits and we're both happy.

I don't care if you're industrial, commercial or Splash n Dash Electric, anyone who tells an apprentice to supply his own power tools and consumables is a cheap bastard and being a cheap bastard will end up biting you in the ass.

I would be impressed by an apprentice who arrives on site with a nice M12 driver. That's it. An M12 impact would be nice too but I wouldn't expect it. I can supply the impact, only because I can't handle someone who uses a driver on wood screws and self tappers.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
2nd year in our company should get a cordless drill on their tool account, $20 a week just gets deduducted each week to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
First year apprentice in our local has to buy a lap top off of the JATC. They also have to buy books.

No apprentice should ever have to buy corded or cordless tools.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Who know it has always cracked me up that we need to supply so much. Do clerical workers have to bring their own stapler, chair, keyboard, etc? When I first started in the trade my employer gave me a list a mile long. I supplied a basic hand tools and a wiggy. I became one of his best employees and he bought me all the rest of the tools he wanted me to have.

Now that I have employees all I require is the basic hand tools. If they want to bring their own stuff I don't stop them.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Who know it has always cracked me up that we need to supply so much. Do clerical workers have to bring their own stapler, chair, keyboard, etc? When I first started in the trade my employer gave me a list a mile long. I supplied a basic hand tools and a wiggy. I became one of his best employees and he bought me all the rest of the tools he wanted me to have.

Now that I have employees all I require is the basic hand tools. If they want to bring their own stuff I don't stop them.
Do clerical workers get paid as much as electricians?

I'll bet they do not.

Part of the value of a tradesmen is that he brings tools to perform his trade wherever he is working.

Drill bits and such should be supplied along with power tools such as a hole hawg.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
I have hand tools and a tool bag that I supply. After the first year of the apprenticeship is successfully completed, I give them the tools with the understanding that if they lose the tools they are responsible for replacing them. If they're damaged through normal wear and tear or they're stolen, I'll replace them. We also supply all cordless tools and any type of bits or blades.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Do clerical workers get paid as much as electricians?

I'll bet they do not.

Part of the value of a tradesmen is that he brings tools to perform his trade wherever he is working.

Drill bits and such should be supplied along with power tools such as a hole hawg.
We shouldn't have to provide anything except our expertise and labor. Is a computer programmer's desktop or laptop providing the value to his employer or is it his expertise?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
We shouldn't have to provide anything except our expertise and labor. Is a computer programmer's desktop or laptop providing the value to his employer or is it his expertise?

Life is full of little idiosyncrasies like this. Waiters and waitress get paid tips, but we don't. You'd wait an hour for a doctor to see you, an electrician showing up an hour late is not acceptable. It's common to haggle with a car salesman, but you don't when you buy groceries.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The truth is that in a free country we all have the freedom of choice. If an employer wants their employees to provide tools of the trade, that's their right. Just like how it's your right not to work for them and find an employer who better suits your needs.
We are not a free country when it comes to employment. More and more contractors are requiring you to provide tools or safety equipment. I can't tell you how many times I heard other people say well I do not like but there isn't other place to go to or having this job is better than nothing.

In my opinion we are not independent contractors. We shouldn't provide a thing except our expertise and labor

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
........In my opinion we are not independent contractors. We shouldn't provide a thing except our expertise and labor
Who do you work for that provides a vehicle to drive to and from work, pays you lunch money, and gives you all your clothing (underwear included)?

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
We are not a free country when it comes to employment. More and more contractors are requiring you to provide tools or safety equipment. I can't tell you how many times I heard other people say well I do not like but there isn't other place to go to or having this job is better than nothing.

In my opinion we are not independent contractors. We shouldn't provide a thing except our expertise and labor
Read post #11:whistling2:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for everyone's input... My buddy and I used to work for the same company, and didn't have to supply any of it.. I told him, if I was his friend I'd be getting my resume out and try to get on with a bit better of a company.. He concurred..

Apparently she went out and spent $600 on power tools this weekend for work...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It seems to me, that over all my years in the the trade, the quantity of tools that a craftsman (I mean this as skill not gender.) is expected to supply have increased dramatically. "When the earth was young", a journeyman only supplied a decent set of pouch tools, a hacksaw, a hammer and themselves.

There seems to be a wide range of "tool lists", depending on employers or bosses. Often these lists are not absolute and an employee will need to provide more tools to do a specific task instead of the additional tools being company supplied. On the other hand, we have all worked with someone who appeared to only own one beater screwdriver, some worn out Kleins and one pair of Channellocks and this would be their tools no matter what their assigned task. These folks would then bum tools from everyone around to do their assigned job.

Most of us own our own battery tools. These are probably the best productivity improvement invention in many years. The issue for an employee is the fact that battery tools and batteries have a fairly short useful life, say somewhere between a drill bit and a hand bender. If a company has a tool replacement policy it would seem to make a better situation for everyone for battery tools.

Of course as with any system, the few that abuse the system will ruin it for everyone else.

·
Registered
945 Posts
That's just your opinion. The excuse that there's nowhere else to go isn't a viable reason. You're not entitled to a job nor are you entitled to a job that suits your needs. If you can't find a job that you like, too bad.

Go out and form your own company and provide your employees with all the tools if you like it that way.
I never said I was entitled to a job. I do not think you understand there isn't a true free employer/employee labor market. Employers have all the power and employees have none.

If there was a true free labor market then wages, benefits and working conditions would rise in a tight labor market. This has not happened in my state and a lot of it has to do with lobbying by contractors, right to work(I guess republicans feel they are entitled to a job) and the chamber of commerce.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
The truth is that in a free country we all have the freedom of choice. If an employer wants their employees to provide tools of the trade, that's their right. Just like how it's your right not to work for them and find an employer who better suits your needs.
It's not that simple. I have seen guys with really lousy hand tools but they make them work. Their choice. The rest I supply because they are of professional quality, make the job go faster and and are SAFE - drills, lasers, consumables, meters, KO cutters, etc.

I had an apprentice who bought a drill based on color. Since when do you buy power tools because you like the color? We're not talking fashion here. If I supply the drill I know it's a good drill and it just happens to be red :) .

1 - 20 of 47 Posts