Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an upcoming job where we are to install power onto Christmas set pieces for malls. The christmas set piece is a house that is built into sections and stays in the mall for 2 months for santa and his elves to take pictures and like.

Typically the mall simply runs orange drop cords from outlets to the lights and other items in the santa house, not visible to the public. They want to make a new one to code and the question I have is:

A 120volt line is need to power the lights mounted in the Santa set. The cable will be mounted to the santa set and must have connectors along the run to disconnect where the house disassemble into its individual pieces for storage. Typically the mall just attaches orange drop cord with Edison outlets every 10' built into the cable to the set pieces upon install each year. I was wondering if NEC code specified for this if I could use a type SJ cable with Edison single gang boxes placed along the run where the outlets are need to plug in?

Thanks-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edison are the receptacle type used in our industry aka NEMA 5-15 receptacle. Would use some form of single gang box inline with the cable. See attached for the type of cable the mall typically uses.

Attachments

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Edison are the receptacle type used in our industry aka NEMA 5-15 receptacle. Would use some form of single gang box inline with the cable. See attached for the type of cable the mall typically uses.
I've never heard them called Edison receptacles. Must be a regional thing.

To me, this is an Edision receptacle:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The install is 2 months- the last thing they I want is an inspector to stop by and ask why there are orange extension cords stapled to the top of the santa house with lights plugged into it. SJOO cord per Article 400 seems to suggest I could use SJ cord...

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
The install is 2 months- the last thing they I want is an inspector to stop by and ask why there are orange extension cords stapled to the top of the santa house with lights plugged into it. SJOO cord per Article 400 seems to suggest I could use SJ cord...
The temporary, seasonal, ornamental display is none of the inspector's business. It's what it's plugged into that counts.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I've never heard them called Edison receptacles. Must be a regional thing.

To me, this is an Edision receptacle:

Can I still purchase it for $.21 and is it still made in the USA ???:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts