Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Best: Troubleshot and found a loose neutral in the Central Command bunker data center in the AOR. Restored operations to the war room. It was high pressure.

Worst: Ran a 200' UF feed to a detached garage. Got a call back after the trench was filled the garage had no power. Ended up losing the customer. The whole job turned disaster.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best: Troubleshot and found a loose neutral in the Central Command bunker data center in the AOR. Restored operations to the war room. It was high pressure.

Worst: Ran a 200' UF feed to a detached garage. Got a call back after the trench was filled the garage had no power. Ended up losing the customer. The whole job turned disaster.

What was the issue ?

Sent from my iPad using electriciantalk.com

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
It's kind of a long story but I wired everything from the POA in on the whole house. GC was uncoordinated at best. It was an extreme make over of a lake front cabin into a full blown two story home.

They had to keep a bunch of the existing structure in order to keep the setbacks. The shore lost like 6ins a year or something crazy. It was on Lake Erie.

Anyway, i think the line got cut by a secondary trench and by the time the site had power the trench was backfilled.

The job was left with the garage having no power. Contract fulfilled. The original feed was cut, the new feed was a change order, and the new feed got cut.

The entire project was suppose to take 6 months I think and it took over a year. The HO was frustrated from living in a family members house.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I blew up our shops mobile genny. 8500 watt thing. I left it running over night to power a unit heater in a building we had a shutdown going on. Came in the next morning and the thing had seized up.
On the same job we had divided the service up into 2 sections. Fed from a new mdp.
One section was an existing 12 gang meter stack. The other was a 800 amp panel board feeding the building owners shop.
Well long story short we fed the neutral on the meter stack with a hot...
So 1/3 of all the circuits got 208volts instead of 120....needless to say a few things let their smoke out...
Also one of the apprentices was cutting the 600 mcm feeders going from the padmount tranny to the new mdp, and he left 5' extra on every cut and we can up short on the last piece of wire because the others were all too long...
So this job actually went amazingly horrible... Pretty much anything that could go wrong did.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
848 Posts
Proudest: Building Wayfair's shiny new warehouse in Ogden which opened a crap load of jobs for others when the company got huge. :thumbup:

Worst: Drilling through a 14/2 I just pulled with a hole hawg, thankfully it wasn't live. :whistling2:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Best: Troubleshot, repaired, and commissioned 20 fire alarm systems in pre-manufactured buildings with nightmarishly bad wiring that everyone else had given up on. Didn't have any experience troubleshooting F/A before that.

Worst: Drilled the wrong spot and went through the outside block wall of a community center building that was almost complete. Drill bit poking out. Site foreman and my foreman right there. Decorative cedar siding had JUST gone on the day before.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Best >>> wired up chicken barn 400' long two floors with 3-6 guys working under me ,first time running a job this size.
And doing all climate controls.
The birds were coming the same day we finished and only one fan running backwards on startup .
Worst fishing recs in a house and measured wrong , drilled hole, felt weird , thought I drilled through floor....
I was right too, if that wasn't bad enough the bit hit dead centre in the leg of the antique piano!
Not a good day!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Best day- when I got to work inside after being outside all winter long.

Worst day- listening to the building engineer on where to core drill. I drilled right through a 1 1/4 rigid that was in Slab on the 8th floor. My helper said he ran out of water and there was no sign of penetration right below me. Next room over the main fire alarm panel was gushing like a facet. Fried all board in the panel. Needed a total replace. But it wasn't my fault :)

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Proudest: The EC I apprenticed for called me for help trouble shooting.

Worst:
Installed a bulldog dead-front backwards, shorted the buss and popped the poll transformer for an entire city block 1 phase. Im walking out to my truck and all the neighbors are standing out front their houses wondering why 1/2 their power is out.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.