Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Own my own electrical company. It's quite small just two employees right now. We do mostly residential. It's also in a small town. I am hoping to expand the business someday. But what I am gong to ask is something I know everyone has been through and I know what the answer is but I thought I would like to hear from y'all. I have one worker who has laid out on a few occasions. No call, no text nothing. I wait only to see he is a no show. When confronted he tells me either he forgot, was out of town or just wanted to be with his family. What should I do? He is a good worker and learns fast.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
hire somebody else and phase the other guy out.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Had the same problem. He found a new job a couple months ago. I think i just felt bad and felt i needed him so i only would say stuff to him then i was the bad guy for even saying anything.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
do you do something like residential service work, wire new homes , additions maybe?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
He's not a good worker if he's not working... Not giving you any notification that he's not going to make to work that day is either extremely disrespectful or irresponsible; both are undesirable characteristics in an employee.

I'd explain to him that if he's not going to make it to work when scheduled, that he must notify you in a timely manner so that you can make alternative plans to proceed with the job. (You may need to define "timely manner".) If he calls in too much and it impacts your business I'd let him know that you need someone more reliable and if he can't do that you may need to find someone else.

·
Estwing magic
26,320 Posts
Document it. Put your employee obligations in writing. Have him sign it. That might wake him up. Then it's three strikes and you're out. Have him sign two warnings and then kick his a$$ out the door the third time.

If he refuses to sign I would toss him immediately. The signed documents, however, can protect you in case he decides to make your life uncomfortable after the fact. And, if you're in a small town, you can say, "I did everything I could..."

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michigan Master said:
He's not a good worker if he's not working... Not giving you any notification that he's not going to make to work that day is either extremely disrespectful or irresponsible; both are undesirable characteristics in an employee. I'd explain to him that if he's not going to make it to work when scheduled, that he must notify you in a timely manner so that you can make alternative plans to proceed with the job. (You may need to define "timely manner".) If he calls in too much and it impacts your business I'd let him know that you need someone more reliable and if he can't do that you may need to find someone else.

Well said thank you

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Own my own electrical company. It's quite small just two employees right now. We do mostly residential. It's also in a small town. I am hoping to expand the business someday. But what I am gong to ask is something I know everyone has been through and I know what the answer is but I thought I would like to hear from y'all. I have one worker who has laid out on a few occasions. No call, no text nothing. I wait only to see he is a no show. When confronted he tells me either he forgot, was out of town or just wanted to be with his family. What should I do? He is a good worker and learns fast.
There is no such thing as " I forgot to go to work"

No call=you're fired.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
99cents said:
Document it. Put your employee obligations in writing. Have him sign it. That might wake him up. Then it's three strikes and you're out. Have him sign two warnings and then kick his a$$ out the door the third time. If he refuses to sign I would toss him immediately. The signed documents, however, can protect you in case he decides to make your life uncomfortable after the fact. And, if you're in a small town, you can say, "I did everything I could..."
That I can do and will thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
"I just wanted to spend time with my family"

"Well great...tell ya what, since I'm such a helluva guy, go ahead and spend the rest of the week with them. And as far as that goes, go ahead and take next week too. Really get some good quality time with them. And when you run out of money to feed them, you may or may not still have a place here. I'll let ya know. Don't call me, I'll call you."

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
First before you can him, send him out to some jobs that don't exist. Tell him you are on your way and will be a few minutes late , so wait in the parking lot.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
New guy pulled that this morning after texting me last night to confirm starting today. No answer or call back . I guess Obama pays their bills.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
On a binge from the night before ......most likely.
The no call/ no text thing says one of two things, still too high or passed out cold .

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jproffer said:
"I just wanted to spend time with my family" "Well great...tell ya what, since I'm such a helluva guy, go ahead and spend the rest of the week with them. And as far as that goes, go ahead and take next week too. Really get some good quality time with them. And when you run out of money to feed them, you may or may not still have a place here. I'll let ya know. Don't call me, I'll call you."
Perfectly quoted

1 - 20 of 25 Posts