295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bryant 3025BRN Toggle Switch, Double Pole, Double Throw, 30A

·
electrorick
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bryant 3025BRN Toggle Switch, Double Pole, Double Throw, 30A

I know what it is and what it does but I never saw one that looked so residential

View attachment 154058

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,952 Posts
Did you find it installed somewhere? Could be used to quickly switch between say, 2 water pumps on a single supply.

·
Registered
Residential remodeling
117 Posts
I used one on a residential elevator. Also I used a single pole for an awning where you held it down (momentary contact) to extend or retract the awning.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,093 Posts
Maybe a cheap transfer switch for two circuits. Not legal but it works. One side utility and the other side generator.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
Switching between two circulator pumps, two sump pumps, automated skylights, window shades, anything needing a hand-off-auto control.

·
electrorick
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe a cheap transfer switch for two circuits. Not legal but it works. One side utility and the other side generator.

it was rated for 30 amp 240v

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,007 Posts

·
Administrator
EC
22,587 Posts
They are not cheap. It is a double pole double throw center off switch. I used one years ago. It could be used anywhere where you wanted one or the other load on but not both. You can have baseboard heater on one and an a/c on the other. The center off means neither comes on.

Reactions: MikeFL

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I think the best application would be a cheap alternative for a manual transfer switch. If you have a small generator and you only want to power several loads such as a well pump and boiler this way is much cheaper than a transfer switch. Also it takes up less room. As I said above, it is not legal but works. I used this method when I first moved into my house 38 years ago. A 30 amp transfer switch was almost $200.00. This switch back then was $38.00.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,553 Posts
I have merged the 2 threads into one... No sense in having the same question twice in the same section.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,281 Posts
I have a more residential set up for my landscape lights. It’s not a double pole though. It’s next to two single pole switches that also do outside lights. The single pole switches are, on and auto. The double throw with center off is, on, off and auto. So my outside lights are on at dusk through a photo cell, off at midnight through a time clock, but on again through a motion detector after midnight.
I had to replace the decora center off switch this year. They had this odd looking replacement. It looks more like a switch over switch. It’s mechanically interlocked so that both switches can’t be on at the same time. I think it can be converted to two single pole switches instead of a single pole double throw. It has a break away tab on the common terminal, that when broken turns it into two single pole switches. I’m not sure if the mechanical interlock can be converted though.
9AD36BDB-145E-4AF8-AD19-730FEA64CF5D.jpeg

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
938 Posts
Why is it "not legal"?

I was considering doing this at my house for a few critical circuits.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I just thought of another thing that this could be used for. Years ago when I had a boat, the trim switch went bad. It was over $200.00 for a new one. It was basically an up, off, down switch. I used one of these and it worked for over 10 years.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts