Electrician Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
11,156 Posts
Has something to do with listing as a transfer switch. I would use it.
Say you put your furnace on one of these switches so in the down position it's fed by the panel as usual, and in the up position it's fed by an inlet two feet below at receptacle level. In an outage, you run a cord to the inlet. There might be a similar switch in the basement for the refrigerator, sump pump, a lighting circuit, and a receptacle circuit.

Would that setup be considered an illegal transfer switch?

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,081 Posts
Say you put your furnace on one of these switches so in the down position it's fed by the panel as usual, and in the up position it's fed by an inlet two feet below at receptacle level. In an outage, you run a cord to the inlet. There might be a similar switch in the basement for the refrigerator, sump pump, a lighting circuit, and a receptacle circuit.

Would that setup be considered an illegal transfer switch?
I used the switch as a transfer switch for a small, 4 circuit panel. I - DP20 for the well. 1-20 amp for the kitchen,. 1 - 15 amp for the boiler. I since replaced it with a 100 amp Wadsworth manual transfer switch and 16 circuit panel.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,156 Posts
I used the switch as a transfer switch for a small, 4 circuit panel. I - DP20 for the well. 1-20 amp for the kitchen,. 1 - 15 amp for the boiler. I since replaced it with a 100 amp Wadsworth manual transfer switch and 16 circuit panel.
I guess my question is whether you're allowed to do this for a single load or branch circuit, is that still considered a transfer switch?

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
647 Posts
I have a more residential set up for my landscape lights. It’s not a double pole though. It’s next to two single pole switches that also do outside lights. The single pole switches are, on and auto. The double throw with center off is, on, off and auto. So my outside lights are on at dusk through a photo cell, off at midnight through a time clock, but on again through a motion detector after midnight.
I had to replace the decora center off switch this year. They had this odd looking replacement. It looks more like a switch over switch. It’s mechanically interlocked so that both switches can’t be on at the same time. I think it can be converted to two single pole switches instead of a single pole double throw. It has a break away tab on the common terminal, that when broken turns it into two single pole switches. I’m not sure if the mechanical interlock can be converted though.
I really like this idea for outdoor lighting.

I wonder if there's an easier way to do it with smart switches.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,276 Posts
I really like this idea for outdoor lighting.

I wonder if there's an easier way to do it with smart switches.
Yeah there’s gotta be an easier way. I have a four pole contractor in a 12x12 with a 300 watt control transformer for the low voltage landscape lights. The switches just parallel the contacts. There’s a pole for the porch lights, a post light, LV landscape lights and the outside outlets. The outlets override is in a 4sq nippled to the 12x12 in the basement. The other side of the 12x12 is the time clock.

Next time I would use a GPS Light Lock timer and eliminate the time clock and photo cell.(y)

·
electrorick
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have used it to power a flood light. One direction it turns the flood light on and bypasses the motion detector the other direction it turns the flood light on with the motion detector. Center position it turned the light of completely.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
couldn't that be done with a 3way sw
I guess a 3way is just a spdt sw
never thought about it that way before

·
Registered
Licensed Electrical Contractor (20 years)
22 Posts
I have used it to power a flood light. One direction it turns the flood light on and bypasses the motion detector the other direction it turns the flood light on with the motion detector. Center position it turned the light of completely.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Dang, I thought I was the only one that done that. I always label it appropriately and install it behind the door and up higher then the normal switch.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts