Electrician Talk banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Estwing magic
25,410 Posts
Linesman's pliers (i bought new ones to replace the ones I sacrificed to the T-bar ceiling gods)
Sidecutters, *****, diagonal pliers, whatever...
Strippers
Two drivers
Parts pouch

I go light.

Oh yeah, I hang my beautiful blue Bosch impact driver from it sometimes. Did I mention that I have a beautiful blue impact driver? :)

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Depends on what you're doing.. This is about all I've needed doing industrial maintenance...

Linesman pliers
T&B stakon pliers
side cutters
Greenlee cable cutter (pouch size ones, not the shears)
needle nose pliers
wire stripper/screw cutter
mechanical wire strippers
420 and 440 Channel lock pliers
10" crescent wrench
Linesman's knife
#4, 6, 8, 10 robertson (about 6-8" long)
stubby #8
8" flat blade
stubby flat blade
8" phillips
8" insulated flat blade (1/4" wide tip)
insulated flat blade for weidmueller terminals
metric allen wrenches (folding type)
imperial allen wrenches (folding type)
5/16" allen wrench
3/8" allen wrench
26' tape measure
10 mm combo wrench with a ratchet on the closed end
7/16", 1/2", and 9/16" combo wrenches

That being said, the amount of other tools I carry in the truck (doors, side boxes, bins, etc) adds to this list substantially..

I've also done jobs where a tape measure, level, 7/16" speed wrench and 9/16" speed wrench will do 90% of the job for months (conduit and cable tray installing)..

·
Estwing magic
25,410 Posts
Depends on what you're doing.. This is about all I've needed doing industrial maintenance...

Linesman pliers
T&B stakon pliers
side cutters
Greenlee cable cutter (pouch size ones, not the shears)
needle nose pliers
wire stripper/screw cutter
mechanical wire strippers
420 and 440 Channel lock pliers
10" crescent wrench
Linesman's knife
#4, 6, 8, 10 robertson (about 6-8" long)
stubby #8
8" flat blade
stubby flat blade
8" phillips
8" insulated flat blade (1/4" wide tip)
insulated flat blade for weidmueller terminals
metric allen wrenches (folding type)
imperial allen wrenches (folding type)
5/16" allen wrench
3/8" allen wrench
26' tape measure
10 mm combo wrench with a ratchet on the closed end
7/16", 1/2", and 9/16" combo wrenches

That being said, the amount of other tools I carry in the truck (doors, side boxes, bins, etc) adds to this list substantially..

I've also done jobs where a tape measure, level, 7/16" speed wrench and 9/16" speed wrench will do 90% of the job for months (conduit and cable tray installing)..
If I carry crimpers, I don't carry side cutters. One less tool in the pouch :) .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
General use pouch is either in my tool bag or on my hip:

Side cutters
Dikes
Small needle nose
420 Channellocks
6 foot stick rule
Center punch
Beater driver
Phillips #2
5.5 x 125 mm driver
Din terminal driver
Razor knife

·
Registered
512 Posts
Linesman's pliers (i bought new ones to replace the ones I sacrificed to the T-bar ceiling gods)
Sidecutters, *****, diagonal pliers, whatever...
Strippers
Two drivers
Parts pouch

I go light.

Oh yeah, I hang my beautiful blue Bosch impact driver from it sometimes. Did I mention that I have a beautiful blue impact driver? :)

I have 2 of pretty much everything because at some point I've lost just about everything. Then I buy a new one. Eventually I go back and find it and voila!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use a chest harness (see here). Tool pouch has a short size multibit driver, 6" adjustable wrench, 3.5mm parallel screwdriver, precision screwdriver set, needlenose pliers, flush cutters, and precision snap-off razor. Also holds a small multifunction process calibrator, radio, magnet strip for loose nuts and screws (not shown), notepad, pen, and penlight.

Handles about 80%+ issues, I have an extended disassembly/troubleshooting and a repair/install bag for everything else.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,560 Posts
The pouch is always loaded for the task at hand.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
I feel so sorry for you poor souls that have to use tool belts. I don’t even like the clc leather tote I use now But that might be more because of the tools in it. Just can’t find a combination of tools I like in it.

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
32 Posts
LOL... Left a few and found a few. Think in the end I may come out even.
Once I left a pair of small pliers at the peak of a cement plant, took me 2 years to return and they were right where I had left them. If I know where I left them you can’t find them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do both Electrical and mechanical work.
Tool bag got up to 27 pounds.
Now it rides around on a collapsible two wheel dolly.
Then that gets put in a roll around tool box with even more tools.
Then there is another tool box we call the "crash cart" that has the PLC stuff in it, laptop, keyboard, cables, ect.
Lost a pair of side cutters in the drop ceiling once wasn't sure which office I was in at the time.
Two years later I lift a ceiling tile and hear something sliding across the tile, thump, right on the head.
I found them!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts