Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who just moved into their new construction home back in October. They have a problem with the recessed lights burning out all over the house within a short period of time. Out of the 140ish recessed lights, Ive had to replace probably 75 lamps already.

Ive checked all the usual suspects. All my connections at the mains, breakers, switches, lights, all checked out fine.

Im not using cheap lamps. Im using 38W Par20 GE. Ive installed thousands of them and never had an issue like this.

I did check their voltage, and to me it seemed a bit high. They were getting 123-124v on each leg. I told the HO to call out the PoCo and have them check things out. They recorded 122v, and thats within their range, so they didn't do anything else.

Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Which manufacturer, model # of can & trim.
In insulation or not?
Where the lamps exposed to vibration from construction like blown-in insulation installed in attic or carpet/tlle installed on floor above?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All cans are Lightolier 2002P1.

House is spray foamed, but none of the cans are near the insulation.

No excessive vibration. We installed the lamps well after the floor was down, and the HO assured me the kids werent jumping around. I believe it because the problem is house wide, not just were the bedrooms are.

GE 69163

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Your GE 69163 is rate 1,500 hours
GE 69148 & 69149 are rated 3,000 hours
All GE PAR20 are rated 120 volt.

Sylvania 16116 is rated 4,500 hours
Maybe try a different lamp.

It's possible you got a bad batch. It's happened to me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Recessed Lights Recall

Since you think it's the lamp what about the equipment?
I dont think LOL is the problem. We've been using them for years and never come across a problem like this.

Your GE 69163 is rate 1,500 hours
GE 69148 & 69149 are rated 3,000 hours
All GE PAR20 are rated 120 volt.

Sylvania 16116 is rated 4,500 hours
Maybe try a different lamp.

It's possible you got a bad batch. It's happened to me.
I know they are only good for 1500hrs*, and that was my original thought, that it was just end of life for them, but Ive had to replace quite a few, multiple times already, in much less time.

The HO actually wants to switch everything to LED (actually an easy sell :laughing: ), but they are concerned that they will burn out just like the halogens.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yes. The whole house is being switched over to Control4 stuff, which we made sure is compatible with everything.
If they can afford that, then LED's are cheap.
GE LED PAR 20 don't have the standard PAR glass. I don't know if that would bother the owner. Maybe they'll like the new higher tech look.

I would get my distributer to send a sales rep with several LED options to show the owner. Discuss the appearance of the lamp, color in ºK, consistency of color from lamp to lamp, brightness, dimming, lamp life, etc. and let the owner choose the lamp. After they decide, change one or two areas and make sure that's what they want before changing 140 fixtures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts