Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,542 Posts
Here is a clip from the NJ amendments.

iii. In Section 210.12(A), entitled "Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Dwelling Units," "kitchens" and "laundry areas" shall be deleted.
iv. Section 210.12(B), entitled "Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications - Dwelling Units," is deleted in its entirety.

Having to replace a receptacle with AFCI when changing devices?

i. Section 406.4(D)(4), entitled "Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection," is deleted in its entirety.

Romex above a drop ceiling!

ii. Section 334.12(A)(2) is deleted in its entirety.

Here’s a few more.

3. Chapter 2 of the electrical subcode, entitled "Wiring and Protection," is amended as follows:
i. Section 210.8(A)(2) and (5) of Article 210, entitled Branch Circuits, is deleted; it is replaced by Section 210.8(A)(2) and (5) and the exceptions in the National Electrical Code 2005 as follows:
"210.8(A)(2) - Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of similar use.
Exception No. 1 to (2) - Receptacles that are not readily accessible.
Exception No. 2 to (2) - A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)7, or (A)(8).
Receptacles installed under the exceptions to 210.8(A)(2) shall not be considered as meeting the requirements of 210.52(G).
210.8(A)(5) - Unfinished basements: For purposes of this section, unfinished basements are defined as portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and the like.
Exception No. 1 to (5) - Receptacles that are not readily accessible.
Exception No. 2 to (5) - A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)7, or (A)(8).
Exception No. 3 to (5) - A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed fire alarm or burglar alarm system shall not be required to have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
NC has heavily amended the Arc Fault codes. I’m very grateful for this.

Its required for all the general use lighting and receptacle circuits inside the house. And the dining room. Nothing else, and none of the dedicated circuits like kitchen s, bathrooms, garages, dishwasher, ect. No 240v circuits are required either. Thank goodness!!

Whoever’s in charge of these new codes has absolutely lost their freaking mind.

·
Registered
892 Posts

Its required for all the general use lighting and receptacle circuits inside the house. And the dining room. Nothing else, and none of the dedicated circuits like kitchen s, bathrooms, garages, dishwasher, ect. No 240v circuits are required either. Thank goodness!!

I’m going to have to read those. Didn’t realize they would be so lax in fact I expected them to approve all of the ridiculousness. Makes me think about a job I did not too long ago adding a dedicated gas stove receptacle. Probably didn’t need an afci but I put one on there.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,542 Posts
I am seriously glad I let my license lapse.
Yeah, mine is lapsed also. I have to get on that before I get fined. I took all the updates months ago. I just never sent in the paperwork and money before it expired. The contractors (masters) license lapsing isn’t really a big deal. But I have a Buisness permit that I have to tell them I’m not renewing. I haven’t paid the insurance in six months, so it’s been canceled for a while. That’s the one they will probably screw me on if I don’t send back the seal and a letter. I haven’t used it in two years, no sense in keeping it going.

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
1,757 Posts
Yeah, mine is lapsed also. I have to get on that before I get fined. I took all the updates months ago. I just never sent in the paperwork and money before it expired. The contractors (masters) license lapsing isn’t really a big deal. But I have a Buisness permit that I have to tell them I’m not renewing. I haven’t paid the insurance in six months, so it’s been canceled for a while. That’s the one they will probably screw me on if I don’t send back the seal and a letter. I haven’t used it in two years, no sense in keeping it going.
Yes! Close it all out properly.

I disbanded or what ever it was called my LLC then did not renew my insurance nor the state contractors license. Now, if I want to get it back I have to make up the missed continuing education classes, pay all the missed years license fees AND... show 500 hours of work documentation. That would be the hard one.

Bottom line, I'm out.

·
Registered
Electrician
160 Posts
Can you Carolina guys, take your CEU's to update your license online now ?

Or do you have to attend a class, in person (?)

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I’m going to have to read those. Didn’t realize they would be so lax in fact I expected them to approve all of the ridiculousness. Makes me think about a job I did not too long ago adding a dedicated gas stove receptacle. Probably didn’t need an afci but I put one on there.
Ive got a code class coming up soon, and I’ll report back on whats is in store for us come October.

As far as what I posted above - that is what is the current code for NC. This changes in October

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
1,757 Posts
Can you Carolina guys, take your CEU's to update your license online now ?

Or do you have to attend a class, in person (?)
8 hours per year, 4 may be on line, 4 must be in person

I used to go to an 8 hour course and they usually had a discounted 8 hour on line course to go with it. Then you are good for 2 years.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,407 Posts
Around here, just about everything in resi is required to have AFCIs.

A 30 amp travel trailer outlet wouldn't need it nor would a point of use water heater.

I can't think of anything else though.

·
Registered
Electrician with several licenses in several states
22 Posts

A 30 amp travel trailer outlet wouldn't need it nor would a point of use water heater.

Sounds like it is in Massachusetts. Change a old fried plug anywhere in the house? New arc fault breaker needed. Fun on them old farm houses.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Dude, I’ll try and post a new thread later tonight for all the NC guys on what some of the 2020 code changes are. Wow! I didn’t think it was going to be so many. Thankfully there are a bunch of amendments, but a lot of stuff is still changing.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I am seriously glad I let my license lapse.
Thought you might be interested in this - They changed some stuff in the marinas code section. Specifically about increased GFI protection. I think it has to do with the feeders and the wording got changed around the requirements on dwelling unit boat docks.

I honestly don’t know much about that, so I was struggling to understand everything that the instructor was going over.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts

If the amendments get accepted that will change. There are no amendments to afci. BTW, the Rules Committee rejected the 2020 NEC so the Oct 1 date to start using the 2020 will likely be amended.

·
Registered
Electrician
160 Posts
8 hours per year, 4 may be on line, 4 must be in person

I used to go to an 8 hour course and they usually had a discounted 8 hour on line course to go with it. Then you are good for 2 years.
I seem to remember that N. Carolina required a certain amount of in-person CEU's but wasn't sure, it's been a while.
Here in Washington, you can attend classrooms also. But also having the option to take entire amount required CEU's online for a price.

There's an online service called "Pelco" that costs $99.00 dollars, acceptable to WA State. It's generally more cost-efficient using, while never leaving comfort of your home.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,494 Posts

Do baseboard heaters require afci breakers?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts