Electrician Talk banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,477 Posts
BB heaters are not legal because of energy codes.

Wall-mount fan-forced heaters are still ok though.
Resistance heat is resistance heat whether it’s a Cadet heater or a baseboard heater, what’s the rationale?

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,377 Posts
Resistance heat is resistance heat whether it’s a Cadet heater or a baseboard heater, what’s the rationale?
There isn't any but on the other hand, there isn't much rationale to the majority of energy codes............

Usually, it's some sort of government jugbutt thinking he is singlehandedly saving the planet.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Yikes, no forced heat sources???!!!!

That is some ridiculous nonsense right there!! What about in metal warehouses and buildings? Are you guys not allowed to use those metal space heaters that hang in the corners?

·
Bilge Rat
8,377 Posts
Yikes, no forced heat sources???!!!!

That is some ridiculous nonsense right there!! What about in metal warehouses and buildings? Are you guys not allowed to use those metal space heaters that hang in the corners?
Forced air is ok, just not baseboard, plus I believe (though I have not actually seen) that it's in the resi energy code.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Forced air is ok, just not baseboard, plus I believe (though I have not actually seen) that it's in the resi energy code.
Are you allowed to use those Cadet Heaters? They are 12x14 or so and are made for room additions, bathrooms, basements, ect?

·
Bilge Rat
8,377 Posts
Are you allowed to use those Cadet Heaters? They are 12x14 or so and are made for room additions, bathrooms, basements, ect?
Yes we are.

Usually they're not the main source of heat for a whole house.

There are very few basements around here, usually they're in bathrooms or other rooms to prevent freezing.

·
Bilge Rat
8,377 Posts
Quite a few years ago, one summer, the Reno area was right on the verge of rolling blackouts. Of course, no one wants this........so the legislature, in its infinite wisdom, enacted several laws concerning energy.

One of them was to outlaw baseboard heaters......yes, we all know these are not operating in the summer but remember, this is the legislature.........

They also did some other stuff that was actually pretty good. One was to outlaw all zoning regulations for rooftop solar installations. Even HOAs have nothing to say about them.

Another was to repeal their laws the did not allow the PUCO (there's only one) to own generating plants. This freed up the restriction for the PUCO to purchase power on the open market and allowed them to generate their own.

·
Bilge Rat
8,377 Posts
Was that for the better or worse?
I don't think that outlawing BB heaters made much difference.

Allowing the PUCO to own generating plants turned out pretty good, there's a good-sized natural gas plant (used to be coal but they converted most fit to NG) that can support a good part of Reno (1,000 MW, if I remember) plus another one about 150 miles north. With both these plants running at 100% (they usually can) they actually export power.

When the PUCO couldn't own them, they sent most of their power to California so they had to but power on the open market. That is, of course, more $$$ than owning their own plants.

Power was 8 - 9¢/KWH before they had to sell them, it went up to about 12¢ for a couple of years and now that they own them again it's about 10¢.

The solar stuff turned out mostly good, a lot of new installations went up but if you had solar, you got about 3¢ for what you sold the PUCO, and were still charged 10¢ for what you used. There's still a battle over it, the PUCO doesn't want to pay retail for the power they get and the owners say 'it's my power, I should be able to use it at my house'.

I can see both their points, I don't think there's a fair way to do it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)

What would they require for a remodel? I'll be doing a condo remodel that has 95' of BB heaters to replace, haha.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts