Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are trying to located the end of a wire behind a wall? We have'nt been successful locating an outdoor light switch box which is now behind a furred out stucco wall on a new 8 million dollar house. The original Electrical contractor Co. walked off the job and no as-built plans for where the other end of a 3-way light swich box is located. Supposedly on the OUTSIDE of one of the back doors. I guess so you could turn on the outdoor light to put your key in the door. Anyway, what are those electronic devices called that attach to the OTHER end of the circuit? thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
If it's dead, a phone guy's TONER and PROBE (sometimes called a FOX and HOUND) might work. I have pretty good luck with them.

The next step is probably an underground type locator. You can tune them down so that they're not as touchy when you're hunting stuff in the walls.

If your worst problem in an 8 million dollar home is a buried switch, I'd say you're doing alright.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Might as well use the hammer because it sounds like the box was installed before the furring and you're going to have to get in there to extend it anyway.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Greenlee makes a "power finder, circuit tracer" It is usually used to locate a breaker to a outlet you want to turn off, but I've used it to locate an underground conduit by supplying power to a wire in the conduit, attaching the optional cord via aligator clips to a pigtail at the breaker, then using the sensor, go the the area you suspect it is supposed to be and turn it on high until you get in the area and get a signal. Then turn down the sensitivity until it only give you a signal in a definate small area. You should then be able to follow the romex cable up and down until it stops. Just remember to turn of the breaker before you break out the wall.
The cost of the tracer is about $250, $300 dollars, you'll love having it later too.
David SSE

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Greenlee makes a "power finder, circuit tracer" It is usually used to locate a breaker to a outlet you want to turn off, but I've used it to locate an underground conduit by supplying power to a wire in the conduit, attaching the optional cord via aligator clips to a pigtail at the breaker, then using the sensor, go the the area you suspect it is supposed to be and turn it on high until you get in the area and get a signal. Then turn down the sensitivity until it only give you a signal in a definate small area. You should then be able to follow the romex cable up and down until it stops. Just remember to turn of the breaker before you break out the wall.
The cost of the tracer is about $250, $300 dollars, you'll love having it later too.
David SSE
Do you have a link for this one you are talking about?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.