Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this mounted on the inside of the door frame.
The door was to a closet/ wire chase in a really old 9 story building
It's a kind of slate terminal strip.
There's holes in one end that if you put a wire in it, the screw will pinch it.
I got the motor starter out of the same building

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Be my guess that it's a telephone demarc. Does it say Cook, Kellogg, Stromburg, Carlson, or Westinghouse on it?

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Yeah, just found several online that are darned similar. It's phone. Telco side came in the holes. House side around the screws.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dry contacts ... for what ?
There's no moving parts, other than the screws.

Be my guess that it's a telephone demarc. Does it say Cook, Kellogg, Stromburg, Carlson, or Westinghouse on it?
That's how I was leaning, but it was on the door jam.
There's no writing on it.

I just got on the job last week, 99% of the demo was already done, but I do know electric, telephone and fire alarm used that chase, but all the evidence is gone.
Would a telephone guy screw that to the door jam to maybe tie his headset into while he's working on the phones.
I keep forgetting to look on the other floors to see if there's any more.
It's funny how some of us are so curious and others will see it and not even give it a second thought about what it is.
I'm sure a lot of cool stuff went in the dumpster.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
In the original picture , it looks like it may have something to do with the starter , but it does'nt .

It is just a terminal strip .!

Hey ! I am old and easily confused .

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Help me out. I thought any point where the TELCO service terminated on private property was the demarcation? It's actually a specific type of equipment?

Prior to divestiture in 1984, the Regional Bell Operating Companies were responsible for everything related to the telephone service (service drop, protector, customer premise wire, jacks and phones).

After divestiture the RBOCs kept the network up to the new demarc device that is required by the FCC Part 568. The customer got ownership of the premise wire and AT&T got all the phone equipment.

The demarc is the last point of responsibility required by the RBOC. It must be a plug in arrangement easily accessible to all. When demarks first became necessary they were a separate piece of equipment wired from the protector. Now the demarc is contained inside the common closure with the protector ( the inside wire module above).

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...Prior to divestiture in 1984, the Regional Bell Operating Companies were responsible for everything related to the telephone service (service drop, protector, customer premise wire, jacks and phones)....
I did not know that. So to clarify, that thing in OPs picture may have been the termination block for the outside line, but it wasn't a demarc because that concept didn't exist.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I found this mounted on the inside of the door frame.
The door was to a closet/ wire chase in a really old 9 story building
It's a kind of slate terminal strip.
There's holes in one end that if you put a wire in it, the screw will pinch it.
I got the motor starter out of the same building

Do those brown strips connect each pair of screws together? Fuse maybe?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.